The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > "Spicy" flavor - hops maybe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default "Spicy" flavor - hops maybe?

I had an extract brew (British Pale Ale) by 98EXL the other day, and I'm really trying to figure it out. Hopefully he can come in here with the name of the kit he bought and I can reverse engineer the recipe, but in the meantime, I'm opening this up to the forum.

This was an extract kit purchased from Anappolis Homebrew. I don't know the name, other than it was a British pale. Sadly, none of the kit beers on their site actually list any ingredients, and from what 98EXL said, they were packaged more with labels of "Bittering Hops - 60 minutes" than saying what was in it.

He has stated that there were no adjunct ingredients - just extract and hops. So my assumption is that the hops did it. It's very hard to describe the taste over a forum, let alone that it was yesterday afternoon and I'm trying to remember taste from memory. The brew had a very "spicy" taste to it. Sort of like the heaty spice from cinammon, without the obvious cinammon taste/flavor.

What could this be, and how can I duplicate it? :P

Any ideas welcome...

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Lots of hops are known for spicy characteristic; the one that comes to mind first is Saaz, althought that would not be a typical ingredient for an English pale. I would be that the hops in the kit are either Goldings or Fuggles (or a combination), which I don't really think of as spicy, per se, but maybe one could find a bit of that character in there. You can also get spiciness from the yeast, although again. not usually with the yeasts used in a British ale kit (several Belgian strains have some spice character to them).

So, yeah, you can male a beer with some spice character without actually using spices, but why the one you brewed had it? I dunno...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
jezter6
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm fairly sure the kit came with a British ale yeast and British hops. So yeah, Fuggles or Goldings would work. However, I've used both in a number of beers recently that don't quite have the flavor I'm working on.

I guess experimentation is the key, or finding out from the homebrew shop what the recipe is, although I'm not sure I'll get it without ordering a kit from them...

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You can get a spicy phenolic character if you pitch English ale yeast a little too warm, around 80 degrees. (I've done this before.) Generally I think it's considered a flaw in that style of ale.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 08-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I don't think pitching at 80°F is a problem.
It's fermenting at 80°F that is a too high.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
98EXL

Recipes 

I can always ask whats in it

I'm back!!!

Quick Reply