Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Spicy Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
keys2heaven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Spicy Chocolate Stout

Next up in my brewing adventure is to create a well-balanced chocolate stout with a hint of heat.

I'm going to use a clone recipe based on Southern Tier's Choklat and wanted to use dark chili-flavored chocolate in the boil.

Just wondering if doing it this way will give enough heat to the beer or should I consider adding a couple of chiles when racking to the secondary. That's what others here have done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I have made Ginger Ale and added habanero chilis to it for some bite.... I did one Chilli for each 5 gallons of Ginger Ale... it worked out well...

It went in the boil near the end I think....

You might want to double check though and see if Capsicum is a volatile compound, I forget…

Old 07-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
keys2heaven
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think habaneros would be a bit strong. One thing I'm thinking of doing is just getting some anchos, a serrano and good dark chocolate and melting the chocolate over a double-boiler. Then, puree the anchos and seranno and add to the chocolate mixture. Then strain through a fine mesh strainer.

This could be done a couple of days before brewing. Plus, it gives an opportunity to taste the mixture for heat and flavor before adding to the kettle.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
keys2heaven
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update for tonight. I've prepared the chocolate mixture that I will be adding to the beer. A combination of 100% cacao, anaheim and serrano peppers, cinnamon, cayenne and sea salt. Just enough heat which I hope translates into stellar beer.

Question: I'm going to prepare a 1L yeast starter using White Labs London Ale WPL013. Do you think 1L will be enough (with yeast nutrient in the boil) for a beer with an O.G. of 1.113?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
applecran
Recipes 

Any update on how this turned out? At what point did you add your mixture?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
fenderbass
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys2heaven View Post
Next up in my brewing adventure is to create a well-balanced chocolate stout with a hint of heat.

I'm going to use a clone recipe based on Southern Tier's Choklat and wanted to use dark chili-flavored chocolate in the boil.

Just wondering if doing it this way will give enough heat to the beer or should I consider adding a couple of chiles when racking to the secondary. That's what others here have done.
I just made a batch with dried ghost chilies. Two during the boil and one more during fermentation. Worked out real good. I heard that fresh chilis may mess with the yeast, but dried are ok.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Coopmiami
Recipes 

3 ghost chilis? and i thought i was crazy for using scotch bonnets

Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
fenderbass
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also used 12 oz. of various hops. It's not as bitter as you would expect, but the hoppines is there, followed by a slight burn at the finish.

Quick Reply