Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Spiced Ginger Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Freezeblade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Default Spiced Ginger Beer

So after much pondering, talking on the chat with people about it, and fruitlessly searching online for an alcoholic ginger beer recipe, such as how it traditionally was brewed, I just decided to throw together a recipe, and will be tweaking and making many 1 gal batches of Ginger Beer until I find something one that's just right. So here's the first one: I shall update with results as they come.

Ingredients:
6" piece of fresh ginger root (5 oz, shredded)
1 c Cane Sugar
1/2c Honey
1/4c packed Brown Sugar
2 key limes (juice of both, zest from one)
pinch of Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove (cracked)

Yeast:
Safale US-05

Proceedure:
Bring one gallon of water to a boil, turn off heat and put spices in, cover and let sit for 10-15mins (or 'till <160F) Add Sugars, Lime juice/zest and Ginger. Let sit covered 'till mixture reaches pitching temp. Strain mixture into carboy, pitch yeast. Ferment out, secondary optional. Prime like normal, for sweeter ginger beer, add lactose and/or splenda to taste (or kill yeast, sweeten, then force carb)

What do you all think?

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's lot of ginger...

I have a recipe...click on the down arrow under my avatar.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 07-14-2008 at 05:08 AM.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
That's lot of ginger...

I have a recipe...click on the down arrow under my avatar.
I like really hot spicy gingerale, like Blenheim Hot Ginger Ale, and I decided on that much after tasting the must untill I got the hotness I wanted.

As for the Gingered Ale, I got that one from you, and I was looking for something that was less actual beer.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 07-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

mmm'kay...

I guess the product you mentioned must be like our Vernon's Ginger Ale...really spicy.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
mmm'kay...

I guess the product you mentioned must be like our Vernon's Ginger Ale...really spicy.
I don't know about Vernon's but we have Vernor's which is kinda spicy, I use it to make Dark 'n Stormys on a hot day. The stuff I'm talking about is a sipping ginger ale, you'll burn your throat off trying to drink with any sort of speed, although quite refreshing suprisingly

Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
thewurzel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Default Ginger Beers

At the moment I have a ginger wheat beer in my secondary, I will let you know how it turns out

I am also interested in finding out about traditional ginger beer
Which according to Wikipedia was once brewed up to 11% ABV

I belive it was brew only with fresh ginger sugar and something called ginger beer plant, which is where the yeast came from.

I belive the problem from brewing with bakers yeast or brewers yeast that the alcolhol can turn into lactic acid. Which is why ginger beer generally has low alcohol content.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
...we have Vernor's which is kinda spicy...The stuff I'm talking about is a sipping ginger ale, you'll burn your throat off trying to drink with any sort of speed...
+1

I love Vernor's, but I ALWAYS cough and/or choke a little with that first sip. I seem to forget to not inhale right before sipping! It is really good though!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewurzel View Post
I am also interested in finding out about traditional ginger beer
Which according to Wikipedia was once brewed up to 11% ABV
That's kinda what I'm going for, I was totally unable to find any recipes online for 11% ginger beer, mine will likely end up around 7-8% if I did my measurments correctly, it will be dry, but I may sweeten with some stievia.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
I don't know about Vernon's but we have Vernor's which is kinda spicy, I use it to make Dark 'n Stormys on a hot day. The stuff I'm talking about is a sipping ginger ale, you'll burn your throat off trying to drink with any sort of speed, although quite refreshing suprisingly
Verner's is what I meant...

Old 07-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmulligan View Post
+1

I love Vernor's, but I ALWAYS cough and/or choke a little with that first sip. I seem to forget to not inhale right before sipping! It is really good though!
Have you ever tried it warm?...I don't know if that is a Michigan thing or not. But when I was in college, there was this hippie sandwich shop on campus that always had a huge crockpot of warm Vernor's sitting next to the fountain drinks tap...Great stuff on a cold winter day!

If you want a decent gingery ale, you can do my Ginger Orange Dortmunder and leave out the orange peel...In fact next time I make it I may just leave it out entirely, (it fades to soon anyway leaving just the ginger) and make simply a ginger dortmunder style ale...

Grain Bill
7 lbs.Briess Pilsen Dme.
1 lb Crystal 40
.5 lb Carapils

Hops
1. oz Perle 7.9 % at 60 min.
1. oz Tradition 5.8% at 60
.5 oz. Cascade 6.3% at 20 min.
.5 oz Cascade 6.3% at 5 min.

1oz ginger @ 20
1oz ginger @ flameout

Safale US-05

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply