New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Special Bitter w/ Pacific Gem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Special Bitter w/ Pacific Gem

I've been drinking this for a couple weeks now, and I gotta say: I am impressed. I'm typically a heavy beer brewer (hence "Thick as Thieves")...high ABV, high hops, lots of malt...but since the heat rolled around, I've been enjoying the lighter stuff: the New Bohemia Pils, and this guy. Great malt character, really balanced, and the hop bitterness lingers for a long time after you swallow, just perfectly. But more importantly, the Pacific Gem experiment went swimmingly! I've only used PG once before, as a bittering hop when I had nothing else, but a friend told me that it's fun stuff, so I got a couple ounces. It has this crisp, brambly thing going on, with a hint of summer berries (mulberries, raspberries, blackberries). I highly recommend trying it out as a flavor/aroma addition on a pale ale or bitter.

This is only my 4th or 5th AG, and I'm definitely happy with the progress. We'll see how the Rochefort 10 turns out, though...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Last edited by Evan!; 06-21-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds fantastic! I am always looking for some new and interesting hop flavor action so I will add Pac Gem to the list that also includes Nelson Sauvin.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
jager
Recipes 

evan, have you tried brambling cross?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

Evan,

Since you say you like the heavy stuff, this idea may be right up your alley. I have used the Pacific Gem in Scottish Ales with good results and it is currently in the Scotch Ale I have in secondary. I used it since I read that it adds dark fruit/blackberry flavors as a flavor hop and I thought it would fit good in that style. I recently heard that the Scots are actually experimenting with it since it is an organic hop - which I hear is important to them - but also has good disease resistance.

Combine the PG with some Special B in the malt bill and you really get a great dark fruit/dried fruit flavor. I took third in my first competition with this recipe and the judging sheets called out flavors of blackberries, raisins, and plums.

Primary:
--
Next Up: Baltic Porter, Saison
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand, Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Lakefront Fixed Gear, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 06-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Brewmeister
Evan,

Since you say you like the heavy stuff, this idea may be right up your alley. I have used the Pacific Gem in Scottish Ales with good results and it is currently in the Scotch Ale I have in secondary. I used it since I read that it adds dark fruit/blackberry flavors as a flavor hop and I thought it would fit good in that style. I recently heard that the Scots are actually experimenting with it since it is an organic hop - which I hear is important to them - but also has good disease resistance.

Combine the PG with some Special B in the malt bill and you really get a great dark fruit/dried fruit flavor. I took third in my first competition with this recipe and the judging sheets called out flavors of blackberries, raisins, and plums.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out in my next scottish brew.

Had another bottle of the PGSB last night. Damn, it is amazing stuff. Might be my favorite so far.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply