Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #71
Jewrican
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

the smell is just so strong. I have never smelled a beer so aromatic. you are most likely correct in that a good part of it is just the grains, but there has to be something else there too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #72
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh I totally agree, there is more to it than just the grains...it's one of life's great mysteries I suppose! My wife and I shared one last night while watching Halloween(1978 version...the only version) and every time I have one I just cannot believe how good it is.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #73
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i can tell you this much... my brew day was a disaster on this beer for new equipment / adjusting to it reasons... we wont go into that (ugh!!)

but while i was carrying the vanilla extract bottle over to the kettle, i squeezed it with the cap on it and had a faint whiff of the air that came out of the bottle... it was VERY much the smell i get from pumking.. there is no doubt at all, that vanilla has a large part in that beer.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #74
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Agreed. I want to give that graham cracker extract a shot too, out of curiousity.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #75
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
Agreed. I want to give that graham cracker extract a shot too, out of curiousity.
while the graham cracker extract helped, it's still not pumking. i recommend giving the graham cracker extract a shot but don't expect it to be dead on first shot using it. it's gonna take tweaking. my pumkin recipe this year tastes very little of pumpkin and very much of vanilla and graham cracker. still good, but not what i was going for. the buttery diacetyl is not there like it should be. i'm gonna smart-balance my grains b4 brewing next time

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 10-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #76
Cannondale
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For this years' pumpkin ale I decided to try to clone ST Pumking. I did a side-by-side last and it is very difficult to tell it from the genuine article. The intense aroma, unique graham cracker/raw pumpkin flavour, and spicing are all there. Recipe is based on label/ST website, various forums and my own speculation and tweaking when racking to secondary. I think the keys are the lactose and the ginger/vanilla. I really wasn't expecting that I would closely replicate the unique flavour profile of pumking, so I am both surprised and very pleased with the outcome.

Vol: 5.5 gal
Kettle Vol: 7 gal
OG: 1.090
IBU: appx. 34
SRM: appx. 11

Fermentables:
14 lbs. 2-Row Pale malt
1 lb. Victory
12 oz. Crystal 80°L
1 large Pumpkin (skinned, cubed and roasted with honey then added to mash)
1 lb. Demerara sugar (added after hot break)

Hops:
3/4 oz. Magnum @ 60 min.
1/4 oz. Saaz @ 15 min.

Additives:
8 oz. Lactose @ 15 min.
1/2 tsp. Yeast nutrient @ 10 min.
1 Whirlfloc tab @ 10 min.
2 tbsp. chopped Candied Ginger @ 5 min.
2 Cinnamon sticks @ 5 min.
1/2 tsp. Cloves @ 5 min.
1.2 tsp. grated Nutmeg @ 5 min.
1/2 tsp. Allspice @ 5 min.
1 Vanilla Bean (added to secondary)
1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon (added to secondary)

Yeast:
2 packs Safale US-05

Mashed @ 152°F for 90 min.

Boiled for 60 min.

Fermented @ 66°F RT for 2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary. Force carbonated in keg.

Notes: The lactose could possibly be increased from 8 oz. to 10 oz., but definitely no more than that. Excluding the allspice and nutmeg might nudge it even closer to an exact clone, but it is not critical. I think that they key elements are the victory malt, lactose, vanilla and ginger.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #77
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3337 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale View Post
For this years' pumpkin ale I decided to try to clone ST Pumking. I did a side-by-side last and it is very difficult to tell it from the genuine article. The intense aroma, unique graham cracker/raw pumpkin flavour, and spicing are all there. Recipe is based on label/ST website, various forums and my own speculation and tweaking when racking to secondary. I think the keys are the lactose and the ginger/vanilla. I really wasn't expecting that I would closely replicate the unique flavour profile of pumking, so I am both surprised and very pleased with the outcome.

Vol: 5.5 gal
Kettle Vol: 7 gal
OG: 1.090
IBU: appx. 34
SRM: appx. 11

Fermentables:
14 lbs. 2-Row Pale malt
1 lb. Victory
12 oz. Crystal 80°L
1 large Pumpkin (skinned, cubed and roasted with honey then added to mash)
1 lb. Demerara sugar (added after hot break)

Hops:
3/4 oz. Magnum @ 60 min.
1/4 oz. Saaz @ 15 min.

Additives:
8 oz. Lactose @ 15 min.
1/2 tsp. Yeast nutrient @ 10 min.
1 Whirlfloc tab @ 10 min.
2 tbsp. chopped Candied Ginger @ 5 min.
2 Cinnamon sticks @ 5 min.
1/2 tsp. Cloves @ 5 min.
1.2 tsp. grated Nutmeg @ 5 min.
1/2 tsp. Allspice @ 5 min.
1 Vanilla Bean (added to secondary)
1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon (added to secondary)

Yeast:
2 packs Safale US-05

Mashed @ 152°F for 90 min.

Boiled for 60 min.

Fermented @ 66°F RT for 2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary. Force carbonated in keg.

Notes: The lactose could possibly be increased from 8 oz. to 10 oz., but definitely no more than that. Excluding the allspice and nutmeg might nudge it even closer to an exact clone, but it is not critical. I think that they key elements are the victory malt, lactose, vanilla and ginger.
Interesting. So, the cinnamon sticks and other additions in the boil did not make it into the fermentor?

Could you pick up the ginger? I've used candied ginger in a saison and it was undetectable. I can definitely taste it in the Pumking.

Thanks for contributing to this thread.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #78
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

But the bottle of pumking says they use Magnum and Sterling hops, not Saaz. Are saaz and sterling similar? I'm excited to give your recipe a shot!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #79
Cannondale
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

passedpawn: No the cinnamon sticks and other additions were filtered from the wort when transferring to primary. Tha vanilla bean was added to secondary. I added the 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon was added to secondary because felt that there wasn't quite enough cinnamon flavour coming out of primary. The ginger flavour is detectable. I chopped the candied ginger up very fine, which may have been the difference.

Moody_Copperpot: I didn't have sterling on hand. I did have a pile of saaz, which happens to be considered the best sterling substitute.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 AM   #80
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale View Post
passedpawn: No the cinnamon sticks and other additions were filtered from the wort when transferring to primary. Tha vanilla bean was added to secondary. I added the 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon was added to secondary because felt that there wasn't quite enough cinnamon flavour coming out of primary. The ginger flavour is detectable. I chopped the candied ginger up very fine, which may have been the difference.

Moody_Copperpot: I didn't have sterling on hand. I did have a pile of saaz, which happens to be considered the best sterling substitute.
Ahhh okay, that's what I was wondering. I've only been brewing about a year, so I'm still a tad foggy on what can substitue what. You recipe seems very promising!

Quick Reply