Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #51
EuBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
I have a question. There is an all grain on here calling for a total of 18 lbs of grain total including malts and all. There is an extract calling for only 13 lbs total. I realize you need more malt to acheive what the extract gives you. My question is can I do EuBrew's recipe and cut down the amount of grain/malt at all, and still get something good?
I ask because I am restrained in my equipment currently. I'm using that Deathbrewer all grain method with the bag, and I had a hell of a time fitting 18lbs of grains in a five gallon pot, in fact, they were never fully submerged. I plan on upgrading to a larger pot soon, but in the mean time I'm curious about what would happen if I cut a pound or three of that stuff. Juuust curious.

You could always sub some of the pale with LME or DME. I'll post an extract version that beersmith converts when I get a sec tonight.
Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #52
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchunk View Post
I don't mention it, because I don't get it in my sample. You sure you know what it tastes like?
I've definitely made a couple beers with diacetyl in my earlier brewing days. One ranged from a light slickness, to another with the biggest bubble of round-tasting, gourd, melon, english toffee, bite a hunk of butter bomb you've ever had. If Pumking doesn't have diacetyl, then they must use 10% butter in the mash.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #53
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's strange. I didn't get the diacetyl taste. I'll have to look out for it in the future. But the one I drank two days ago had no diacetyl whatsoever. Or maybe I'm not as sensitive to it. I do like buttery popcorn, which has it purposely added. So I would like to think I can pick it out, as I have made a few early batches heavy in it as well.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #54
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I drank probably the hundreth bottle (in my lifetime, not this season) of Pumking last night, and something dawned on me. That caramely, almost buttery flavor that gives it that smooth taste is the grains. Is it at all possible that they roast the grains? Even possibly roast the grains in the oven with the pumpkin? I think that we are way over thinking this recipe. The ingredients are right there on the bottle for us. I don't believe they are using diacetyl or anything like that. I think the recipe is as simple as the bottle says it is, but the technique is really what the key is going to be to make this beer.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #55
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3480 Times on 2154 Posts
Likes Given: 2988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot View Post
I drank probably the hundreth bottle (in my lifetime, not this season) of Pumking last night, and something dawned on me. That caramely, almost buttery flavor that gives it that smooth taste is the grains. Is it at all possible that they roast the grains? Even possibly roast the grains in the oven with the pumpkin? I think that we are way over thinking this recipe. The ingredients are right there on the bottle for us. I don't believe they are using diacetyl or anything like that. I think the recipe is as simple as the bottle says it is, but the technique is really what the key is going to be to make this beer.
There has to be some spices (i.e., ginger) in there. No spices are listed on the bottle. So, I would bet that the list of ingredients on the bottle is incomplete.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #56
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with you on the spices, I omitted that part from my post apparently, haha. There have to be spices in there, but I feel like I've been over complicating things when I try and figure out the "secret" to this beer is more my point, I guess.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #57
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i believe this thread holds the secret flavorhttp://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/grah...-porter-11244/ but Moody_Copperpot has a damn good point. maybe it's all in the technique...

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #58
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well that settles it, I'm at least going to TRY that flavoring, what could it hurt?! I really smell the grains when I crack one open. Thinking of baking my specialty grains with the pumpkin next time. Can anyone think of any adverse effects this could have?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #59
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm wondering what most people are doing with the pumpkin addition(s). Are you adding it in the mash, the primary, elsewhere, or both? I'd like to think that I could caramelize the pumpkin in the oven and add a good 20% of the milled grains in the oven with the pumpkin and add at all to the mash, but I'd think that if I wanted to add to the mash, I'd need to let it sit for a lot longer (say ~120 minutes) before being content with tossing the pumpkin. I'd also want to add some pumpkin in the primary as well...

Man, we are thinking too hard into this I think.

But maybe there is something to adding the pumpkin in the mash and letting it sit for longer? Pumking is practically a desert beer, so I'd think a higher mash temp + a longer rest might add some kind of additional flavor, I'm just not sure if it's the flavor we'd be looking for..

Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 10-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #60
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

That's kinda what I'm thinking here...we're over thinking it. My wife and I split three of them this evening. If you drink this beer, it's not strong on spices at all. The main taste is almost this caramely, grainy flavor, with hints of the spices. It makes me think that they perhaps caramelize the pumpkin and specialty grains or something like that. There is no heavy vanilla extract or spicey anything to it...it's just this pefectly balanced beer.

Quick Reply