Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #541
Andie_96
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Now I am a very new Home-Brewer, with probably a very easy-to-answer question. But is there an easy way to convert this recipe (the original post) to an extract recipe instead of a whole grain as it is the only way I have brewed before? I don't have a problem with trying all grain, but even if I could down-size this batch to about 5 gal. final I would be happy. I just honestly don't know conversion rates and haven't had much luck finding them either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #542
brucewayne10000
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie_96 View Post
Now I am a very new Home-Brewer, with probably a very easy-to-answer question. But is there an easy way to convert this recipe (the original post) to an extract recipe instead of a whole grain as it is the only way I have brewed before? I don't have a problem with trying all grain, but even if I could down-size this batch to about 5 gal. final I would be happy. I just honestly don't know conversion rates and haven't had much luck finding them either.
Download a trial of beersmith 2, spend a few minutes watching tutorials on YouTube to set up your equipment and then plug in the all grain recipe, after you do that thou can have the software adjust the batch size and make it extract!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #543
hopbrad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie_96 View Post
i brewed an extract version about 9-10 months ago. the difference were 8.5 lbs of Light DME instead of the 14 lbs of american 2row. i couldn't find any pumpkins yet so i baked 2 cans of Libbys and put 1/2 of it in the muslin bag while steeping the Crystal and Victory, then 1/4 of it in a muslin bag at 30 minutes left, and the last 1/4 of it i mixed directly in the wort with 5 minutes left. 1 tsp of ground cinnamon instead of the sticks. Turbinando Sugar instead of Demerera. 1 packet of S-05. everything else the same.
it tasted amazing when i put it in the fermenter. The one thing i F'ed up on was the Vanilla, I put too many vanilla beans into some Flor De Cana rum, and when i added that as a "dry hop" 2 weeks later it made it extremely sweet. i think the rum added to that as well.
anyway it took like 3-4 months to carb up and at that point was still not good. too much vanilla flavor. Its decent now. The vanilla/Rum has faded but its still too sweet. If i was trying to brew a Vanilla/Rumpkin ale, people would think its good, so thats what i tell em! but as a southern tier clone, its not as good. just too sweet. the graham extract may have added to that wierd sweetness too.
so my advice would be to be careful with the additions. better to use less than more. and i would suggest 2 packets of dry yeast, i only used one.
if i were to brew it again, which may be while bc i live in nicaragua now and the homebrew supply stores dont exist, i would cut out the vanilla and graham cracker. and it would be a damn good pumpkin brew. a good beer is better than an OK clone.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #544
ddrrseio
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

i tried the capella extract at various levels and didn't find one i liked. i'd be happy to send the little bottle off to someone else since there's plenty left for another few attempts. i'd rather send to someone who hasn't made this yet. i'll check my PMs tomorrow.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #545
waldzinator
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey,

I realize that this topic hasn't been posted on in a while, but with fall right around the corner, you know people are going to be thinking Pumking Clone. Several posters throughout the years have commented on the Diacetyl character of Pumking, while others have denied such flavor. I fall into the former group. There is definitely Diacetyl. Sources close to ST have confirmed this with a wink and nod . I don't think the Diacetyl is coming from process (high ferm temp). I'm thinking it's yeast. Ringwood strain? I think that, along with the various flavor concoctions added to it create that signature Pumking flavor.

Anyone with me?

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #546
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Yes.

I used WY1469 and got some buttery crust flavor, at least early on:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sout...ml#post4425738

Old 06-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #547
ultrablue22
Recipes 

I toured ST and got the tour guide to confirm the strong presence of Diacetyl in Pumking.

So if you don't detect it in Pumking you probably just are not sensitive to it. Or you're lying to yourself. Or you secretly work for Southern Tier and you're playing a very cruel joke on all of us.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #548
waldzinator
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Yes.

I used WY1469 and got some buttery crust flavor, at least early on:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sout...ml#post4425738
So, based on my convos with ST folks, I think for this fall's clone, I'm sticking with the standard ingredients (he very strongly suggested using Sterling hops, as noted on the bottle), mashing very high -- 156 maybe (he suggested mashing high, but didn't get into temp specifics), and I think I'm going to use Ringwood and cold crash it once I hit FG to prevent the yeast from absorbing the buttery goodness.

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Old 06-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #549
tdawg183
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldzinator
Hey,

I realize that this topic hasn't been posted on in a while, but with fall right around the corner, you know people are going to be thinking Pumking Clone. Several posters throughout the years have commented on the Diacetyl character of Pumking, while others have denied such flavor. I fall into the former group. There is definitely Diacetyl. Sources close to ST have confirmed this with a wink and nod . I don't think the Diacetyl is coming from process (high ferm temp). I'm thinking it's yeast. Ringwood strain? I think that, along with the various flavor concoctions added to it create that signature Pumking flavor.

Anyone with me?
Yes, I agree. Sometimes I don't think enough people realize the complex variations that can occur simply by playing with different yeast strains.

I got stax, that's just how it is.

-birdman

Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #550
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 139

I've noticed some Pumking popping up around here, it's still July! It's about time to try cloning again. Anyone start theirs yet?

Quick Reply