New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #531
Broham1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg83
Hello everyone. I know it's very early to be brewing this gem but pumking is one of my favorite beers. This will be my very first all grain brew and I want to get it right before october rolls around. I know I wont be able to find pumpkins so I will use puree. I had a quick question with the recipe on page 20. I was wondering how much water I start out with in the mash and how much to add when sparging. With all grain do you still add the 2 gallons of cold water at the end into the primary like you do with extracts?

Thanks for any help in advance!
For mash water, pick a mash thickness between 1.0 quarts/lb and 2.0 quarts/lb. I usually do 1.25 quarts/lb.

Then take your total grain weight and multiply by mash thickness. That's the volume of mash water you need.

For sparge water, calculate grain absorption with 0.125 quarts/lb of grain weight. This is how much water the grain will "drink." Subtract this from your mash water and the result should be what you can expect from your first runnings.

Subtract first runnings volume from your desired pre-boil volume and you've got your sparge volume.

This is calculating a full boil, so no, you don't add water to primary like with extract. At the end of the boil you should have your full volume.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #532
Greg83
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Thanks! This original recipe here

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/southern-tier-pumking-clone-191381/index20.html

suggested he used no sparge brewing. Should I do the same or try sparging? This will be my first all grain brew.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #533
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg83
Thanks! This original recipe here

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/southern-tier-pumking-clone-191381/index20.html

suggested he used no sparge brewing. Should I do the same or try sparging? This will be my first all grain brew.
your question is really more about no sparge brewing in general. In trying a Pumking clone, that issue is quite literally about the least of my concerns, considering nobody even has a reasonably close recipe.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #534
Greg83
Recipes 

I just thought the grain bill amount differs with sparge and no sparge brewing. I am trying to figure out how much water to add. All the calculators I've seen have sparge amounts. This is my first all grain batch and third total so I'm pretty new to the game.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #535
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just thought I'd weigh in and update. It's been a while since I brewed - my details are a few pages back but I based off the one on something like page 22. I ran into a couple of problems with mashing too high because I wasn't paying attention, so it didn't dry out as much as it should have.

That said, even if I had gotten that part right, the recipe is still a far cry from Pumking. It tastes good and pumpkiny, but it lacks something I can't identify - and it lacks it a lot. I mashed with a box of graham crackers too, which did help a lot with my beer's aroma, but it was not a Pumking clone at all. Back to the drawing board.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #536
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotillion
Just thought I'd weigh in and update. It's been a while since I brewed - my details are a few pages back but I based off the one on something like page 22. I ran into a couple of problems with mashing too high because I wasn't paying attention, so it didn't dry out as much as it should have.

That said, even if I had gotten that part right, the recipe is still a far cry from Pumking. It tastes good and pumpkiny, but it lacks something I can't identify - and it lacks it a lot. I mashed with a box of graham crackers too, which did help a lot with my beer's aroma, but it was not a Pumking clone at all. Back to the drawing board.
Had this on tap last week, bar musta been hoarding it. It is thin, mostly crust and vanilla/whipped cream taste. It was said earlier a high level of diacetyl was detected, I'd agree.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #537
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post

Had this on tap last week, bar musta been hoarding it. It is thin, mostly crust and vanilla/whipped cream taste. It was said earlier a high level of diacetyl was detected, I'd agree.
What about adding some whipped cream vodka? There are a couple good ones out there that taste just like whipped cream.

My Cellar http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Savorychef

Untappd: Savorychef

Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #538
Greg83
Recipes 

My vanilla beans have been steeping in whipped cream vodka for 2 weeks now so hopefully that will add a nice touch. I mashed a box of graham crackers also but got a pretty low OG. It was supposed to be 1.083 but I got 1.070. I am hoping this number drops drastically to get a nice abv going.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #539
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg83 View Post
My vanilla beans have been steeping in whipped cream vodka for 2 weeks now so hopefully that will add a nice touch. I mashed a box of graham crackers also but got a pretty low OG. It was supposed to be 1.083 but I got 1.070. I am hoping this number drops drastically to get a nice abv going.
Let us know how it turns out

My Cellar http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Savorychef

Untappd: Savorychef

Old 03-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #540
hopmonster2189
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Just brewed a similar recipe up today (not trying to exactly clone southern tier as I've never tried the pumking) so it should be pretty darn swell in the fall. My first pumpkin ale! Thanks to HBT for all the pro advice

16 lb Marris O.
1 lb c-60L
0.5 lb victory
44 oz canned pumpkin (roasted at 350F for an hour then included in the mash)
Mashed around 152

1 oz magnum @ 60

@ 5 min I added 1 tsp fresh ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, whole cloves, and fresh ground nutmeg.

Used washed 3rd gen 1056 from a 2L starter

OG was 1.087 for about 5.3 gals

Started 2 vanilla beans in some bourbon couple days ago so I'll add that when I bottle in a month or two.

Only other comments are USE rice hulls, I forgot to get them and draining my mash tun took an eternity! It's gonna pay off though my post boil taste showed great promise.

Quick Reply