The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #521
WestNittany118
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug View Post
Nice to hear. Which recipe did you go with? Did you use the capella graham cracker extract?
I went with gwdlaw's recipe on page 20 and I did use the capella graham cracker extract. That recipe called for a tsp of it and after hearing about all the bad metallic after tastes I only put 2 drops in the secondary. I cracked one open about two weeks after bottling because I couldn't wait any longer and it has a very nice subtle hint of the graham cracker and with no metallic after taste. I'd recommend being very conservative with that stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #522
Chug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestNittany118 View Post
I went with gwdlaw's recipe on page 20 and I did use the capella graham cracker extract. That recipe called for a tsp of it and after hearing about all the bad metallic after tastes I only put 2 drops in the secondary. I cracked one open about two weeks after bottling because I couldn't wait any longer and it has a very nice subtle hint of the graham cracker and with no metallic after taste. I'd recommend being very conservative with that stuff.
Yes, I was one of the unfortunate ones to use too much of that stuff. I brewed mine back in late June and it's actually finally starting to calm down but still has a little metallic twang to it. I'll personally never use that stuff again, even the smallest amount.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #523
stblindtiger
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I changed a few things with the recipe (very minor), and added a box of crushed graham crackers to the mash in my third attempt at this. It won it's category (over 30 in the flight) in my local home brew contest and placed second in best of show out of about 340 total entries. It's not Southern Tier, but it's still damn good! Brew on!

Bottled - Lots
Up Next - Rye Saison, Pumpkin Ale, Citra IIPA, Rauchbier

Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #524
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stblindtiger View Post
I changed a few things with the recipe (very minor), and added a box of crushed graham crackers to the mash in my third attempt at this. It won it's category (over 30 in the flight) in my local home brew contest and placed second in best of show out of about 340 total entries. It's not Southern Tier, but it's still damn good! Brew on!
I did the same thing with the box of graham crackers. After tasting the extract, I got scared off. I definitely get that elusive taste in my beer now, though I had lots of issues during fermentation. Congrats on the win!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #525
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotillion

I did the same thing with the box of graham crackers. After tasting the extract, I got scared off. I definitely get that elusive taste in my beer now, though I had lots of issues during fermentation. Congrats on the win!
So you're saying mashing with Graham crackers was a good thing right? Makes sense to me.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #526
tdawg183
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anybody considered Vanilla Chai Tea bags in the secondary?

This is purely coincidental but I prepared this tea for my fiance over the weekend while I was having a pumking. I couldn't help but notice how similar the aroma of the two were (dry tea bag & Pumking).

It's too late for me to try this but I'd consider it an alternative for anybody willing.

I got stax, that's just how it is.

-birdman

Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #527
ehrichweiss
Recipes 

Just an FYI for anyone who finds they have to buy a lot of pumpkins for this, cushaw "squash"(or gourds or whatever you happen to think they are) are what's used as pumpkin pie filling commercially. So if you buy Libby's pumpkin pie filling, it's actually cushaw. Cushaw can be bought more cheaply and provides a lot more meat than does pumpkin. My secret is to buy a cushaw with a long neck and small body because then there are fewer seeds(the neck typically doesn't have seeds) and it's lots easier to cut up and roast.

Just a quick tip for anyone who wants to make a lot of this stuff.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #528
h0psnobery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

bump

Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #529
Greg83
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Hello everyone. I know it's very early to be brewing this gem but pumking is one of my favorite beers. This will be my very first all grain brew and I want to get it right before october rolls around. I know I wont be able to find pumpkins so I will use puree. I had a quick question with the recipe on page 20. I was wondering how much water I start out with in the mash and how much to add when sparging. With all grain do you still add the 2 gallons of cold water at the end into the primary like you do with extracts?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #530
Greg83
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I checked out the calculator here

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

but even with the descriptions I'm having a hard time figuring it out. How am I supposed to know the trub loss, equipment loss, mash thickness, wort shrinkage and so on?

Quick Reply