Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #511
smittygouv30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed gwdlaws clone pretty much exactly. I think the beer is very good however it is a far cry from southern tiers. My clone has a an obvious higher alcohol flavor(despite being about the same abv), more pumpkin pie flavors, and the pie crusty flavor definitely missed the mark when comparing to the original.

On a brighter note I had fun making a beer label.

image-1656959402.jpg  

Keg 1: The Electric S'more Stout
Keg 2: Sorachi Ace Clone
Keg 3: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Keg 4: Two-hearted Ale clone

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Lemongrass Wheat Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #512
Tomcat0304
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieShores
Tomcat, you are trying to clone a beer you have never tried and you are disappointed in your end result? Respectfully, I think this is quite odd. Perhaps you wouldn't even enjoy Pumking?
Hey Erie, no offense taken! I completely agree that it is odd that I would try a clone of something I haven't tasted before and that it is possible I wouldn't like a Pumking. I haven't seen a Pumking in my area, so I have nothing to compare my brew to. I just wanted to share my process, recipe and opinions for everyone to see, confirm others findings and hopefully get some positive feedback. I wasn't entirely disappointed with my result, I think it is a great base to jump off from to suit my own preferences.

Cheers and many thanks,

Jarod
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #513
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't see it as odd that we would brew a clone recipe of a beer we haven't tried. How many people have brewed Pliny kits? How many do you think have had Pliny? I'm planning on brewing Great Lakes Christmas. It's kinda tough to get. I can't remember if I've seen it in any of my local stores. I know I won't nail it. I hope to try the real version. Sometimes it's the best we can do.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #514
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 24

When you guys refer to this recipe as a "clone," you're being extremely generous. It's barely in the ballpark.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #515
cvillebrewer
Recipes 

Default Forget the Graham Cracker Diacetyl is the key

I have been following this thread for a bit and set out to build a pumking clone loosely following some of the recipes on this forum. My beer has finished primary and I have been testing flavor combinations for the secondary.

To test I bought some Capella extracts and made an extract with spices in vodka with the ratio of 4-1-1-1-3 of Ginger,Nutmeg, Cloves, Allspice, and Cinnamon.

Results of my tests:

Spices- I agree that the cinnamon should be somewhat subdued and ginger more upfront. The ratio I used above for the spice mix worked well.

Vanilla- To test I used real vanilla extract and agree the vanilla should be included but should be firmly in the background

Capella Graham Cracker extract- This extract has a terrible artificial and somewhat metallic aftertaste as others have mentioned and if used at all should be subdued. I used 1 drop in 1 oz of beer and the aftertaste was noticeable. Overall, I don't think this is the key

Capella popcorn flavoring- Prior to using this my mixes did not taste like Pumking. After adding 2 drops of popcorn flavoring to the mix everything came together and I was staring Pumking in the face.

Takeaways- The key here is a popcorn or butter flavoring AKA diacetyl.

I think this beer could be made without the extract by using a yeast that spits diacetyl at higher temps such as WLP002. At higher temps I believe this yeast will provide the needed diacetyl while also accomplishing the needed higher residual body as this yeast is less attenuative.

As others have concluded, the quoted specs of Pumking (19 plato O.G.) and 8.6% ABV do not jive with the residual body at all. I used marris otter, c-60, and victory mashing at 156 F, and using WLP001 to get me to a starting gravity around 19.5 plato and fermented down to get around 8.6% abv. This beer had nowehere near the residual body so I cannot see how they can get the body and ABV with a 19 plato start unless they add lactose as many have speculated.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #516
ahefner33
Recipes 

Likes Given: 23

I asked Austin homebrew to comeup with a Pumking clone recipe since i need the full out kits to brew. Anyways they put it out and I already got the extract kit and about 1.5 weeks in with fermentation. Will try to remember to update how it turns out compared to the real thing.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #517
PoconoParadiso
Recipes 

Just reporting out on my partial mash version. After approximately 3 weeks in the the fermenters (this was a violent fermentation that demanded a blow off tube) it went into a brand new 5 gallon oak barrel for 7 days. I then decided it was time to keg and added 1/4 tsp of the Vanilla Butter Nut extract at kegging. After 1 wk in the keg and a few pulls, decided to add another 1/4 teaspoon of finely chopped candied ginger and 5 more drops of the extract. Maybe not a clone, but this was very Punkimg-esque and my guests at a Halloween shindig could not have raved (or drank) more (we kicked the keg in one night!) Even my father who drinks nothing but Yuengling and reminds me every time he tries a homebrew that he likes his beer to taste like beer, drank this all night long. There were several comments of how much it tasted like pumpkin pie, and how did I get the fresh baked crust aroma in there. I will definitely be brewing this again next year and will stay tuned for any tweaks that can make this any better!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #518
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
I don't see it as odd that we would brew a clone recipe of a beer we haven't tried. How many people have brewed Pliny kits? How many do you think have had Pliny?
I think the difference is that Pliny is a pretty standard DIPA while Pumking is an extremely unique pumpkin beer. There are a TON of people on this forum and people I've met that simply do not like Pumking, but I don't hear anyone talk bad about Pliny (except to say overrated...it's still a great beer).

Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #519
WestNittany118
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello All,

So I've read this thread start to finish and there is a lot of great stuff in here. I'm new to homebrewing and have one extract and four all grain brews under my belt, the pumking clone being my first attempt at all grain. While not an exact clone the beer came out great and I had a great time brewing it. Just wanted to thank everyone for all the input and suggestions left in this thread to make this brew happen!

Cheers!

Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #520
Chug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestNittany118 View Post
Hello All,

So I've read this thread start to finish and there is a lot of great stuff in here. I'm new to homebrewing and have one extract and four all grain brews under my belt, the pumking clone being my first attempt at all grain. While not an exact clone the beer came out great and I had a great time brewing it. Just wanted to thank everyone for all the input and suggestions left in this thread to make this brew happen!

Cheers!
Nice to hear. Which recipe did you go with? Did you use the capella graham cracker extract?

Quick Reply