Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #501
ultrablue22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotillion View Post
I'm currently fermenting this, and I have a question about other ppl's experiences. Was your fermentation pretty slow? Mines been in primary for about 10 days, and gravity is at about 1.028. I'm kind of worried about this finishing out. Any thoughts?
I made a 24-hour starter with WLP005, and my O.G. was 1.084. The fermentation took off within a few hours. It violently fermented for the next 3 days. I took a reading 7 days in and got down to 1.017!

After the 2-week mark I moved it over to the secondary. It tasted decent, but for whatever reason it kinda reminded me to Dogfish Head's pumpkin ale (maybe it was the cinnamon). If you look at my recipe on the previous page it's a lie, I used half a teaspoon for each ingredient. Turns out my girlfriend didn't double everything.

I made a mixture with a couple shots of moonshine I had laying around and all of the spices mentioned by Tytanium on the previous page for the secondary.

I picked up Mckormick's "Vanilla Butter and Nut" flavoring at my local Giant Eagle. It smells like straight-up frosting. It's somewhat close, but I doubt it's what they use. I threw in the recommended 1/4 tsp and said a little prayer to the beer Gods.

I stopped by my LHBS and told them about my adventure. Since it got to 9% ABV, the guy recommended that I pitch some champagne yeast into the bottling bucket when it's time to bottle. What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #502
MrNic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrablue22 View Post
I made a 24-hour starter with WLP005, and my O.G. was 1.084. The fermentation took off within a few hours. It violently fermented for the next 3 days. I took a reading 7 days in and got down to 1.017!

After the 2-week mark I moved it over to the secondary. It tasted decent, but for whatever reason it kinda reminded me to Dogfish Head's pumpkin ale (maybe it was the cinnamon). If you look at my recipe on the previous page it's a lie, I used half a teaspoon for each ingredient. Turns out my girlfriend didn't double everything.

I made a mixture with a couple shots of moonshine I had laying around and all of the spices mentioned by Tytanium on the previous page for the secondary.

I picked up Mckormick's "Vanilla Butter and Nut" flavoring at my local Giant Eagle. It smells like straight-up frosting. It's somewhat close, but I doubt it's what they use. I threw in the recommended 1/4 tsp and said a little prayer to the beer Gods.

I stopped by my LHBS and told them about my adventure. Since it got to 9% ABV, the guy recommended that I pitch some champagne yeast into the bottling bucket when it's time to bottle. What do you guys think?
I'm pretty sure the champagne yeast will eat all of the sugars and you'll have bottle bombs. The remaining yeast should be enough to carb it, but if you're worried you could add some us-05 at bottling.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #503
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt_88 View Post
Some have noted this, true, but the ST site describes cinnamon as one of the flavors. Maybe they're lying to trick us.

I hope that they are not tryin to trick because some ppl may be allergic to cinn
There's always someone allergic to something. If I was allergic to cinnamon, I'd be smart enough to stay away from spiced pumpkin ales.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #504
tjt_88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

True. I guess I'm saying that if it wasn't in there I would think that they wouldn't say it is

Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #505
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt_88 View Post
True. I guess I'm saying that if it wasn't in there I would think that they wouldn't say it is
Well they could use 1/10th as much as we're using, who knows, it's not relevant. Why not just open up a bomber along with jars of nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ginger, & cinnamon and let us know what you smell in the Pumking? Give us opinion instead of speculation.

Like a couple others, I didn't get any cinnamon. But in mine I used pumpkin pie spice, which has a lot of cinnamon, and there you definitely do pick up cinnamon. Store-bought pumpkin beers I've tried (e.g. Uinta, New Holland, Dogfish Head) seem to have a similar spice profile, but not Pumking.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #506
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby

How many packs of 05? Did you aerate the wort with O2? Interested in comparing to my results with the same yeast.
I reused the yeast from a barleywine. I aerated with air + filter, not oxygen.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #507
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 203 Posts

How big was the barleywine? Usually a big beer like that will stress the yeast to the point that it isn't worth trying to save (or so i have read).

Old 10-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #508
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer
How big was the barleywine? Usually a big beer like that will stress the yeast to the point that it isn't worth trying to save (or so i have read).
The barleywine was 1.074. So it was smaller than this beer.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #509
Tomcat0304
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hey everyone, I just tasted my brew and was disappointed. I have to admit, I have not had a Southerntier Pumking before, but after all the rave reviews I wanted to try to replicate one.

I used gwdlaw's recipe (post #191 on page 20), plugged it into BrewSmith to get a PM recipe and came up with:

Southerntier Pumking Clone – PM
Brew Day: 8/19/2012

Ingredients:
3 lb. 6 oz. Pale 2 Row malt
11 oz. Victory malt
8 oz. Crystal 80L
8 lb. 2 oz. Pale Liquid Extract
12 oz. Dememera sugar
4 oz. Light brown sugar
58 oz. pumpkin puree (Libby’s; not pumpkin pie filling)

Hops:
1 oz. Magnum hops (accidentally added full bag)
0.25 oz. Saaz hops (LHBS didn't have Sterling)

Addititves:
8 oz. lactose
Yeast Nutrient
Irish Moss
2 tbsp. finely chopped candied ginger
3-3” cinnamon sticks
½ tsp. whole cloves
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. allspice

Yeast:
2 packets Safeale S-05

Added to secondary:
2 vanilla beans (split down middle, scraped, seeds and pods added to 4 oz. vodka)
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. Capella Graham Cracker Extract (about 100 drops)

Steps:
1. 4 gallons double filtered water to boil in 7.5 gallon pot
2. 2 gallons double filtered water to 154* in 5 gallon pot to mash
3. Mash grains, pumpkin and rice hills at 154* for 90 minutes
4. Tea bag (dip in and out) of water. Squeeze water out of grain bag
5. Add 2 gallon wort to boiling 4 gallons, bring back to boil
6. Boil for 60 minutes
a.Addition schedule:
i.Magnum hops for 60 min
ii.1/3 of LME for 60 min
iii.Demerara sugar for 45 min
iv.Brown sugar for 45 min
v.Saaz hops for 15 min
vi.Lactose for 15 min
vii.Chiller for 15 min
viii.Yeast nutrient for 10 min
ix.Irish moss for 10 min
x.Candied ginger for 5 min
xi.Cinnamon sticks for 5 min
xii.Cloves for 5 min
xiii.Nutmeg for 5 min
xiv.Allspice for 5 min
b.Boil double filtered water for 20 min
c.Cool water
d.Use 2 cups water to rehydrate yeast
e.Cool wort to under 80*
f.Add rehydrated yeast
g.Top up with water to 5.5 gallons
h.OG = 1.089
i.Gravity reading on 8/29/12: 1.019@70* = 1.020
j.Gravity reading on 9/1/12: 1.018@68* = 1.019
k.Primary ~2 weeks
l.Add spices and secondary on 9/4/12
m.Secondary 3 weeks
n.Bottled on 9/29/12 (primed with 5 oz. corn sugar in 1 cup water)
o.Bottle Day FG = 1.018@70*=1.019
p.Alc. = 9.24%

I consider myself a fesh newb after only 5 brews, and have not used BrewSmith prior to this batch, so if there is something wrong with my process or recipe that's my fault. I also live in an apartment and brew on my stove top. I am able to get a vigorous boil of 6.5 gallons, it just takes a while to get it there. Anyway, on to my notes:

The color is a definite orage, right where I expected it to be, slightly hazy. Little head that disappeared quickly, but left a small ring on top of the brew through the whole consumption. There is definitely a pumpkin flavor, I wouldn't want much, if any, more. This brew fell short on the spice flavor, I was expecting a lot more. I did notice that the spice scent faded over time during primary and secondary stages. Next time add a spice tea at secondary or bottling. As others have mentioned, leave out the graham cracker extract. I didn't care for it, and do taste a metallic flavor I haven't tasted in my previous brews. Maybe try the vanilla, butter and nut that others have tried. Next taste will add a graham cracker rim to the glass, searching for the elusive graham cracker taste. I haven't used lactose previously, but understand it should add a creamier taste, I could use slightly more.

Overall, I think its a pretty solid brew, at least a good place to start and make a few changes to suit my taste.

Last edited by Tomcat0304; 10-27-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: edits

Old 10-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #510
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Tomcat, you are trying to clone a beer you have never tried and you are disappointed in your end result? Respectfully, I think this is quite odd. Perhaps you wouldn't even enjoy Pumking?

Quick Reply