Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #41
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3284 Times on 2047 Posts
Likes Given: 2802

you might try next time without pumpkin, just to see.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #42
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I am almost positive that ST puts it in the last 10 minutes of the boil

Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #43
polkadotninja
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrames View Post
Has anyone used the cubed pumpkin and came out with a clearer result?
I roasted a 4lb pie pumpkin (cut in half, scooped out seeds, placed halves face down in roasting pan w about 1/4" of water in it, 350 for 1 or 1.5 hrs), scooped out the pulp, and put it in a small grain bag while boiling. It's in the primary now, and blew a little pumpkin sludge out the blow-off tube, but after 4 days there's not a ton of sediment at the bottom. However, the grain bag of pumpkin did shrink a little during the boil, so there's some pumpkin floating around in there, so who knows how clear the result will be.

To passedpawn's point, how much do the good pumpkin ales out there really taste like pumpkin anyway? What does pumpkin taste like ... does it have a taste or does it provide a good texture for pumpkin spices in pies?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #44
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrames View Post
I can't recommend making this ST Imperial Pumking Ale the way I did using pumpkin from a can. I transfered from secondary into a second secondary today and in addition to the ale not being clear, there was over an inch of settled pumpkin in the bottom of the carboy. I racked off as much as I could without bringing in the sludge and probably lost another gallon of ale in addition to the gallon lost in primary. To net it out, the ale tastes good so far but canned pumpkin has resulted in a loss of two gallons of the batch. Since ST's Pumpking Ale is so incredibly clear, I am guessing ST either uses possibly cubed pumpkin or an extract? I can't see how even filtering would make it so clear as the pumpkin particles are so fine. Has anyone used the cubed pumpkin and came out with a clearer result?
Nope, they use pumpkin puree. It's on the side of the bottle along with the other ingredients they use. They just have a much more advanced filtering system than any of us have access to. They bake the puree, just like most of us have tried doing here, it's just that they have the ability to do things to clear their beer up that we as homebrewers simply don't have, without suffering a loss of wort.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #45
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just want to know how the hell they get the pie crust flavor in there!! I have had a tone of different pumpkin beers and none of them have that character but this one!! I seriously considered mashing with pie crust to try to get it but i was afraid of the butter haha

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 AM   #46
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Why is nobody talking about the diacetyl in this beer? This beer has the most diacetyl I've EVER tasted... it almost makes me want to vomit in its butter-gourdy-melony glory. I really can't believe they can get away with it, but a pumpkin ale sure is the place to do it.

I really think you have to deliberately cultivate diacetyl to form in this beer. Maybe rack off and crash cool before the yeast clean it up?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #47
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421 View Post
I just want to know how the hell they get the pie crust flavor in there!! I have had a tone of different pumpkin beers and none of them have that character but this one!! I seriously considered mashing with pie crust to try to get it but i was afraid of the butter haha
Maybe they finely mill the malt more than they usually would and it gives it more of a distinct taste? Maybe not.. It happened in my centennial blond; then again, it was more of a barely taste and not pie crust lol.
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 10-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #48
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It think that taste you're referring to is the vanilla coupled with the malts, personally. Most pumpkin beers just throw cinnamon in there and call it a day. This beer is made with baked pumpkin, which is seasoned.
I gave mine a little taste from the secondary last night. It was good! Not bad for a first attempt, it wasn't an ST clone, but it was good...the only thing was I got a hint of banana flavor...stupid esthers! Guess I'll need to switch the yeast up next time.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #49
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a question. There is an all grain on here calling for a total of 18 lbs of grain total including malts and all. There is an extract calling for only 13 lbs total. I realize you need more malt to acheive what the extract gives you. My question is can I do EuBrew's recipe and cut down the amount of grain/malt at all, and still get something good?
I ask because I am restrained in my equipment currently. I'm using that Deathbrewer all grain method with the bag, and I had a hell of a time fitting 18lbs of grains in a five gallon pot, in fact, they were never fully submerged. I plan on upgrading to a larger pot soon, but in the mean time I'm curious about what would happen if I cut a pound or three of that stuff. Juuust curious.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #50
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
Why is nobody talking about the diacetyl
I don't mention it, because I don't get it in my sample. You sure you know what it tastes like?

Quick Reply