Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #451
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stblindtiger View Post
Is this normal? I made 12 gallons so I was going to add 4 vanilla beans to the secondary. I only let them sit in about 2 ounces (maybe) of vodka with the ground cinnamon, and I took a look at it today (after about a week or so) and it looked like there was a blob in it, so I reached in and found this???? WTF? I didn't sanitize anything because I figured the vodka would do that, but there isn't any way I'm dumping any of this nastiness in my beer!!!

That is not a full bean btw... I chopped up and split all the beans before adding to con and vodka... It has the consistency of flubber!
You do realize that alcohol breaks down the vanilla bean, right? Mine looked kinda disgusting, but if it's been sitting in vodka, there is absolutely no way in hell that anything bad grew in it. It's just not possible.

Also, your picture is way out of focus and your hand is blocking most of the view. I can't even tell what you're holding up because it's too fuzzy.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #452
stblindtiger
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Are these any better?

It looks like a big brown snot... With chunks of vanilla in it. I realize the vodka would break it down but this is the second time I did this and I don't remember a snot like formation the last time I did this???

image-2703017252.jpg   image-2277662455.jpg  

Bottled - Lots
Up Next - Rye Saison, Pumpkin Ale, Citra IIPA, Rauchbier

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #453
sddanc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Maybe 2 weeks broke down the beans and they began to gelatinize?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #454
HopSpunge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The vodka melted the plastic spice cup

Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #455
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopSpunge View Post
The vodka melted the plastic spice cup
Nope, I had the same substance in mine and I used glass. It must be a vegetative sheath inside the bean that's breaking down.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #456
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3694 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 3198

Quote:
Is this normal? I made 12 gallons so I was going to add 4 vanilla beans to the secondary. I only let them sit in about 2 ounces (maybe) of vodka with the ground cinnamon, and I took a look at it today (after about a week or so) and it looked like there was a blob in it, so I reached in and found this???? WTF? I didn't sanitize anything because I figured the vodka would do that, but there isn't any way I'm dumping any of this nastiness in my beer!!!

That is not a full bean btw... I chopped up and split all the beans before adding to con and vodka... It has the consistency of flubber!
It's not the vanilla, it's the cinnamon. And, you probably don't have cinnamon; you likely have cassia, otherwise known as "bastard cinnamon". In the US, cassia can be legally marketed as cinnamon, though they are different animals.

I have not experienced this sliming thing, but another person who brewed a recipe of mine said it got very slimey after the boil. The recipe had WAY too much cinnamon in it (I got oz and tsp mixed up!). I think it was undrinkable. I'm guessing it was the "imitation" cinnamon that caused him, and probably you, the problem.

Use google and see if you can find any further info on this. The two barks look different, by the way they curl, but I don't know how to help you find the real cinnamon in the powder form.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #457
stblindtiger
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieShores View Post
Nope, I had the same substance in mine and I used glass. It must be a vegetative sheath inside the bean that's breaking down.
Did you use the infused vodka in yours? Also, did you strain out the snot like stuff or just add everything? How did the beer turn out?

To be honest, the liquid doesn't taste bad... I may just strain out the nasty snot like stuff. Especially if it's just the cassia. It almost reminds of a Kombucha like structure/tea...

Bottled - Lots
Up Next - Rye Saison, Pumpkin Ale, Citra IIPA, Rauchbier

Old 09-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #458
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Did you use the infused vodka in yours? Also, did you strain out the snot like stuff or just add everything? How did the beer turn out?

To be honest, the liquid doesn't taste bad... I may just strain out the nasty snot like stuff. Especially if it's just the cassia. It almost reminds of a Kombucha like structure/tea...
No vodka, I used rum. I happen to know for a FACT that they soak their spices in 151, that's the only bit of information I have for sure. I used a filter from my Cuisinart coffee maker to filter. I used the recipe from pg 20 and I'll have to admit, although it's a good pumpkin beer it is absolutely not Pumking. I was at the brewery this summer and they are tight lipped about their process. STBC is becoming the Wonka of brewing.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #459
Chug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just for fun, here's a lil comparison pic. Let's just say the color is a lot closer than the flavor. Pumking vs page 20 "clone".

2012-09-28_17-04-11_229.jpg   2012-09-28_17-14-09_707.jpg  

Old 09-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #460
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cracked my first bottle after 8 days, it's pretty frikin good. I chose not to pay $12 for Pumking this year so I can't compare but I'd say it's pretty close to what I remember. I'm happy because I thought the extract was going to ruin this batch like some here have said, not the case for me. I went a but heavy on the candied ginger and used two vanilla beans and the original said amount of 1tsp Graham Cracker extract. Three weeks primary and three weeks secondary.

Quick Reply