Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #441
BuffaloBeer1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I can safely say that this is a very delicious beer. I cracked the first one open yesterday, and shared with 2 others; we reached consensus. I used the recipe based on pg. 20. It is also evident that this is in no way a clone of ST Pumpking. I had one side by side. The color is right on, but there is definitely not the graham cracker, vanilla, or much cinnamon in the ST beer. That being said, I am really enjoying all of those flavors in this beer; the vanilla compliments it very well. Oak would only enhance this even more. I used a full tsp of the Graham cracker extract; thankfully I have not detected any of the metallic or other off flavors that others have noted.

For what it's worth, I feel the actual clone might need less to none of the Victory, more of some kind of crystal/caramel malt, and a mash temp of 156-158. I would also drop the extract, vanilla, and add some more of all of the spices (for a clone, that is).

Thank you all who have helped this process along. I will continue to enjoy the fruits of your labor this fall.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #442
jakesz28
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was going to go with 15 lbs of two row and 3/4 lb crystal 50/60L. That is basically what others have recommended in here. Going with 1tsp of nutmeg, all spice, and pumpkin spice. I think I will add some butter vanilla extract. I also have fresh butternut squash instead of pumpkin in the mash. I'm going with a mash temp of 158* F.

The hops since I don't have what I need I'm going with 1/2 oz chinock and 1/2 oz perle.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #443
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I had a bomber of this beer on Friday. Without a doubt the single worst beer I have ever had. I don't see how anyone could possibly like the one I had. Spiced beyond all belief, with a wretched, tongue-raking flavor. Do they have quality control issues? I know that keeping pumpkin beers consistent is tough, I have had some good and some pretty bad Punkin Ales.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 09-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #444
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesz28 View Post
I'm giving this a go today. Kind of using my own recipe based of the sum of these. 95% two row and 5% ctystal 50/60* L, because that's what I have. The worst part is out of the 10 pounds or so of hops I have I don't have the ones listed in this thread. So not sure what I'm going to use yet. Any thoughts for a substitute for magnum and sterling? I don't have saaz either.
Supposedly Lublin for Sterling and Horizon or Newport for Magnum.

At least according to this http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #445
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I just kegged mine. Based on page 20 recipe with a few changes. WLP002 English Ale, 32oz of canned pumpkin in the mash, 1lb of honey malt, mashed at 156, no lactose, Goldings and Northern brewer hops (what I had). 2 cinnamon stick in boil and 1tbs candied ginger, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg, 1/2 lb demerara sugar 1/2 lb light brown sugar. 3 vanilla beans in secondary,1 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend, 7 drops of graham cracker extract in 5g.
I like it. Not quite ST, but in the ballpark and a very nice spiced beer with a beautiful color. Would like a little more sweetness but I cant tolerate lactose. The mash and yeast enhance the breadiness and left some sweetness (fg 1.013), and I think muted some of the spices.
I would make this again with a little more spice.

Fast Dogs Brooing

Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #446
MZRIS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
I had a bomber of this beer on Friday. Without a doubt the single worst beer I have ever had. I don't see how anyone could possibly like the one I had. Spiced beyond all belief, with a wretched, tongue-raking flavor. Do they have quality control issues? I know that keeping pumpkin beers consistent is tough, I have had some good and some pretty bad Punkin Ales.
Thank god at least there is one less person drinking up my beer!!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #447
PoconoParadiso
Recipes 

Brewed a partial mash version of this on Sunday using Cannondale's recipe with 10 lbs Alexanders pale malt extract in place of the 2 row. Did 3 lbs of Libby's canned pumpkin coated in orange blossom honey and brown sugar baked at 350 for 45 minutes. I also subbed the Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire a la TyTanium. I'm debating the graham cracker or vanilla butternut extracts, though those seem risky. I am however expecting my first 5 gallon oak barrel as a gift, of which I do think I will make this beer's home for a week or so...

Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #448
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Cool. I'm loving the Yorkshire yeast. Hope you do too!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #449
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoParadiso View Post
Brewed a partial mash version of this on Sunday using Cannondale's recipe with 10 lbs Alexanders pale malt extract in place of the 2 row. Did 3 lbs of Libby's canned pumpkin coated in orange blossom honey and brown sugar baked at 350 for 45 minutes. I also subbed the Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire a la TyTanium. I'm debating the graham cracker or vanilla butternut extracts, though those seem risky. I am however expecting my first 5 gallon oak barrel as a gift, of which I do think I will make this beer's home for a week or so...
You'll be OK adding the extracts. Just be VERY careful. Add them by the drop if you have to. I added mainly the butter nut, but also put 5-6 drops of graham cracker in as well. The good thing is that the spices dominate the taste, so it takes a bit of effort to really ruin it.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 09-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #450
stblindtiger
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Is this normal? I made 12 gallons so I was going to add 4 vanilla beans to the secondary. I only let them sit in about 2 ounces (maybe) of vodka with the ground cinnamon, and I took a look at it today (after about a week or so) and it looked like there was a blob in it, so I reached in and found this???? WTF? I didn't sanitize anything because I figured the vodka would do that, but there isn't any way I'm dumping any of this nastiness in my beer!!!

That is not a full bean btw... I chopped up and split all the beans before adding to con and vodka... It has the consistency of flubber!

image-3473322639.jpg  

Bottled - Lots
Up Next - Rye Saison, Pumpkin Ale, Citra IIPA, Rauchbier

Quick Reply