New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #431
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
Hmmm. Since you're like 1-2 miles from me, I may need to see for myself. You know, confirm your findings.
Haha, a 2nd opinion would be great. Shoot me a PM and we can set up a swap or something.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #432
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting stuff. Have you done a side by side with them?

In reference to an earlier post of mine - I just bought a bottle, and it says the malts are 2 row and caramel. Hops are magnum (kettle) and sterling (aroma). So I do think I will be sticking to just the 2row and c60. The rest will just have to be a crapshoot.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #433
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 415

No side by side, already drank my commercial version this year. And now that I have 5 gallons of mine that I love, I'm not gonna buy any more.

So it's not a triple-blind statistically-significant clone, it's just has all the things I remember loving about the original, for what that's worth.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #434
Taliesin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Keep in mind too that much of what we use specialty malts for can be done by varying mash temperature. I've not used Victory specifically, but assuming the grain lists on the bottle are correct, the one thing (aside from their spice extracts) that we don't have is their mash procedure.

GREAT thoughts on the yeast profile, BTW. I think that might be the key to the crust flavor, just from thinking about it.

-Chris
1031 Brews
http://www.1031brews.com

mjcooper42 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #435
Chug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well, I was going to do a side by side with the "clone" I made from page 20 and the real thing, but now I feel it would be a waste of time. It's nothing even remotely close to Pumking. I had one last night, been in bottles for over 7 weeks. Not good. The graham cracker extract ruined it, it's developed a strange metallic flavor and the vanilla is also over the top. I can't even get any pumpkin flavors out of it, just twangy, metallic, vanilla. Not very happy after sinking all that time and money into it. I do recall it tasting pretty good when I pulled samples before adding the secondary additions so I know the extract is mostly at fault here.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #436
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah dont use graham cracker. And if you use the vanilla butter and nut flavoring, BE CAREFUL!

I added 1/4 tsp to a brown ale and it's heavy on the flavoring. I'd start with 1/16 of a tsp.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #437
Chug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Yeah dont use graham cracker. And if you use the vanilla butter and nut flavoring, BE CAREFUL!

I added 1/4 tsp to a brown ale and it's heavy on the flavoring. I'd start with 1/16 of a tsp.
But the flavor from the vanilla butter nut is pretty reminiscent to the likes of Pumking?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #438
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

O just bottled/legged my batch with the extract, I'll report back in 2 weeks.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #439
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I brewed this today, essentially the page 20 recipe. I screwed up with the cinnamon, though: my software doesn't let me enter "3 sticks" of cinnamon so I entered "3 oz" weeks ago assuming I'd double-check it before I brewed. I didn't, being stupid, and put 3 oz of cinnamon in, which is a lot of cinnamon!

Surprisingly, it doesn't smell like there's too much cinnamon, most was left in the kettle. It tastes fantastic too. Looking forward to this in late October.

Ended up with an OG of 1.083.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #440
jakesz28
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm giving this a go today. Kind of using my own recipe based of the sum of these. 95% two row and 5% ctystal 50/60* L, because that's what I have. The worst part is out of the 10 pounds or so of hops I have I don't have the ones listed in this thread. So not sure what I'm going to use yet. Any thoughts for a substitute for magnum and sterling? I don't have saaz either.

Quick Reply