New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #411
SpeedYellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks

This.
Indeed. That graham cracker extract is nasty stuff. 0.25 tsp is a good start, but I'm not convinced that any amount of that stuff will be ok in beer.

And the spice levels in the p. 20 post seem way too high, as others commented. For sure nobody has figured out the right spices and amounts. For example, there's definitely no cinnamon in Pumking, yet all the recipes here call for it.

Without doubt, We have not yet cloned Pumking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #412
hopbrad
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway737 View Post
Which of the 3 secondary additions would you reduce if any? Racking to secondary on Monday...
i would reduce the vanilla, i cracked another one this weekend and it was still not carbed up but the vanilla was too overpowering. it tasted better before i added the vanilla and graham cracker extract. i think those 2 flavors are too forward and harsh and take away from the other spices. i would go very light on the vanilla and graham cracker. im hoping those 2 flavors mellow with time, and then when it carbs up, that should help out too, right now a flat, high gravity, sweet beer isnt to tastey.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #413
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i've been watching this thread for a while, and i am a little troubled by the huge differences between "this is almost an exact clone" and "this isnt even close."

i am thinking about working from the recipe from page 20, but instead using 1 can of the pumpkin sludge (perhaps coated with honey and baked?), 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 vanilla beans in unflavored vodka and .25 tsp of the graham cracker extract.

am i missing anything else here?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #414
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why are you guys still screwing around with the graham cracker extract? That's not the stuff. I'm telling you, someone just try what I mentioned previously in the below quoted post and you will be there. Just remember to GO LIGHT"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
After a bit of experimentation today, I'm pretty sure I've found the secret to Pumking. The graham cracker flavor many attribute to the beer has always sounded a bit off to me. While I can see how people could describe it that way, a much better descriptor for me would be cap'n crunch cereal, as I've mentioned before. But what flavor extract do you use to get that cap'n crunch flavor? That was the big question. I'd spotted a butter and nut flavoring on a website last year and thought that might be somewhat close, but I didn't want to order up a bottle just on that hunch. But that flavoring is exactly what I saw when walking around the grocery store today. It's called "Vanilla butter and nut" flavoring, so I picked up a bottle to experiment with since it was only a few bucks. Undiluted, it smells just like buttercream frosting. Like cupcakes or something, basically. But when diluted in a beer, it has that exact same aroma as pumking. And it does the same thing to the flavor.

This stuff is STRONG, though. Like 1 drop in 12 oz is too much, strong. I recommend some of you do what I did and pick up a bottle to experiment with. I added it to my cream ale at about a drop per 12 oz and it was too strong. When I had drunk that mostly down I topped it off again with cream ale and that's when it seemed just right. You basically want to dip the tip of a toothpick in the stuff and swirl that around in your glass to get the right amount. But when you hit the right amount, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. I think this will get you closer to that Pumking flavor than anything else you can do.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #415
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Why are you guys still screwing around with the graham cracker extract? That's not the stuff. I'm telling you, someone just try what I mentioned previously in the below quoted post and you will be there. Just remember to GO LIGHT"!
My main problem is that I haven't seen much confirmation, really on either method. I'm too poor to just wing it. Maybe I should cancel my graham cracker order and instead get the butter & nut and go with .25 tsp of that.

Edit..I don't actually see that exact flavoring, so scratch that.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #416
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI
So are you saying that you have made a clone using your method and it was spot on? Or are you still screwing around with whether or not to brew it and provide confirmation?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #417
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
So are you saying that you have made a clone using your method and it was spot on? Or are you still screwing around with whether or not to brew it and provide confirmation?
The beer is brewed and set to be kegged this weekend. Not a pumking clone but an imperialized version of my samhain pumpkin ale recipe. I'll be adding 1/4 teaspoon of the vanilla butter and nut extract at kegging. I'll report back on those results in a couple weeks, but until then its no big thing for people to grab a couple dollar bottle of the stuff to test out themselves on their next trip to the grocery store. That should be all the confirmation they need if their palate is halfway decent.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #418
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts

Are you guys using McCormick's Imitation Butter and Nut flavoring? I'm trying to figure out which one. I don't see that Capella offers one.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #419
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Are you guys using McCormick's Imitation Butter and Nut flavoring? I'm trying to figure out which one. I don't see that Capella offers one.
yep!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #420
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI

yep!
Great, thanks for the reminder and clarification. i think I'll pick up some of that at the grocery store. Like I've been saying, the graham cracker extract is nasty, so this is worth a shot. My plan is to add a drop to a 1L pet bottle of my pumpkin beer, give it a couple weeks, then taste test.

Two other problems with the p. 20 recipe ... I've been drinking every pumpkin beer I can get my hands on, and Pumking seems unique in its lack of cinnamon. And imho the lactose is a mistake (it's a strange sweetness) even though I used just 0.25 lbs. Better idea would be more crystal malt and/ or mash over 158f.

Quick Reply