*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #391
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I'm in on this recipe too, with a slight variation in specialty grains (honey malt) and a 156 mash since I'm lactose intolerant. Just from tasting the wort I'll be adding more spices post primary.
Anyone tried capella's pumpkin pie extract?

Fast Dogs Brooing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #392
vzom
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Do it. Boil the sugar, put a lid on the pot as you turn it off. Then that will allow you to let the sugar cool down. Then you can add it to the fermentor once cool with out killing your yeast.
Phew! I'm glad there may be hope for my batch just yet. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #393
MZRIS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

After drinking a case and a half so far i am still baffled as to what they put in here! mmmmmmm sooo tasty!! Can't wait to refill all these bottles with homebrew and then gift them to some one, they will think they are getting pumking! haha

Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #394
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZRIS View Post
After drinking a case and a half so far...
So that's why this stuff sells out in a week.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #395
bbbblaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmir View Post
I'm in on this recipe too, with a slight variation in specialty grains (honey malt) and a 156 mash since I'm lactose intolerant. Just from tasting the wort I'll be adding more spices post primary.
Anyone tried capella's pumpkin pie extract?
Did you use 3 cinnamon sticks, or did you use ground cinnamon? I'm curious how much and what type others used.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #396
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbblaine View Post
Did you use 3 cinnamon sticks, or did you use ground cinnamon? I'm curious how much and what type others used.
People do it either way. But keep in mind that Pumpking doesn't seem to use much/any cinnamon. A couple people in this thread don't detect any cinnamon, and I definitely agree with that. Try a few pumpkin beers back to back and you may agree.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #397
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I boiled with one stick, figuring I can add ground to secondary if more is needed.

Fast Dogs Brooing

Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #398
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Just bottled Cannondale's recipe on page 20. Only change was 2 sticks of cinnamon in the boil, an extra tsp of candied ginger mixed in with the vodka tincture for the secondary, and I used Pinnacle Whipped vodka instead of plain. Smells like liquid pumpkin pie. It smelled like something sooo familiar to me but I couldn't place it. Then it hit me. Dunkin Donuts pumpkin flavored coffee... without the coffee. You can smell the crust, the spices, the pie, and especially the whipped cream topping. Can't wait for this to age a little (still has a little alcohol bite), but this'll be a crowd pleaser.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #399
hopbrad
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopbrad View Post
i added a tsp of the GC extract, tsp of pumpkin pie spice, and 4 oz of homemade vanilla extract in spiced rum about 10 days ago. bottled yesterday and it tasted great. i tried it before i added those 3 things and it was really good then too, i was trying to look for an overbearing vanilla or graham cracker flavor but couldnt really find it. its definately present tho, but with so many other spices in the recipe, they all do their part and its great. i brewed it for a party on the 22nd of sept, pretty stoked for my friends and family to try it. i can only image it'll get better with a few weeks of bottle conditioning, carbed, and cold. i followed cannondales except it was extract and i dont use a secondary.
cracked my first one after 12 days in the bottle. there was almost no carbonation, 2 weeks til the party. i hope it carbs up by then. otherwise it was pretty decent. a little forward on some of the flavor and alcohol taste but that should mellow with time.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #400
ghoti
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just made the recipe from post #76. I can not wait until this is ready to drink.

Quick Reply