New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #21
mrames
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Moody, looks like our ST Imperial Pumking Ale's will be coming out of bottle priming (if you bottle) around the same time, we might have to arrange a Pumking tasting. I used info on bottle and a brew calculator to come up with grains/extracts, shooting for ABV and the color from a bottle I tried, which is a VERY clear, light orange color. Got my hops and yeasts from Leerner's.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #22
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2630 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrames View Post
Hey Moody, looks like our ST Imperial Pumking Ale's will be coming out of bottle priming (if you bottle) around the same time, we might have to arrange a Pumking tasting. I used info on bottle and a brew calculator to come up with grains/extracts, shooting for ABV and the color from a bottle I tried, which is a VERY clear, light orange color. Got my hops and yeasts from Leerner's.
Guys, for better or worse please post your results. I'm interested in doing one myself and would appreciate learning from your experiences. thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #23
polkadotninja
Recipes 

Default Exciting

Been looking for some ST Pumking suggestions to brew next week, can't wait to hear the results of the folks brewing here, good luck ;-)

Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #24
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrames View Post
Excellent!!! I just put mine in the secondary last night. I went on the lower end of the 5-7 days spectrum for transferring it over. It smelled great, not sure if it'll taste a thing like Pumking, but as long as it's a tasty pumpkin beer, it won't be all for naught. I need to shoot out to Leener's again, it's been a while, good to know that they have the right stuff. I'm all for a tasting! I don't know if I'm going to bottle or keg this one yet, I'll probably bottle.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #25
mrames
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation so far....

My ST Imp Pumking fermenting so far..........

Fermentation-Pitched yeast 9/19 @ 2100, bubbling every 45 sec on 9/20 at 1700, every 10 sec @ 2200. 9/21 @ 0800 steady slow, @ 1700 steady fast @ 2230 steady rapid. 9/22 @ 0800 steady rapid, as well as @ 1700 and 2200. 9/23 @ 0800 steady, @ 1700 steady slow, took SG reading of 1.040 at 72 degrees non-corrected for SG of 1.041, 8.54% ABV.

My guess is this will stop fermenting soon as the ABV is up to 8.5%, not sure how high this WLP002 yeast can go, I was shooting for FG of around 1.023 which would be a 10.8% ABV. I am wondering how I will get the pumpkin pulp out of this as one thing about the original is that it's SOOOO crystal clear. I may have to go thru more than one secondary to settle out the pulp because all my strainers get immediately plugged by the pulp. This tasted pumpkiny and had an alcohol bite, still to early to tell on the spice and vanilla I think.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #26
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How did you guys do yours? All grain or extract? I did extract and I put my pumpkin in the grain bag and steeped it for about 45 min before adding the grains to the bag. Did you guys just put the pumpkin into the boil? I can see that that could get a little messy to strain out! I tasted mine as I transferred to the secondary, it tasted pumpkiny and I could taste the spices too. Not sure if it'll turn out like ST, but it will be a good beer I think. I took an all grain recipe and converted it blindly without using any conversion software. I subbed out ingredients that the store I went to didn't have. I had the right grains (carmel pils, and victory) and I had Sterling hops but a lot of the other stuff I had to kind of wing. I think I just repeated mysefl there, but oh well! Haha.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #27
tippetsnapper

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Does anyone know what ingredient(s) give the pumpking that 'creamy' character?

I have a pumpkin ale in primary now, not a ST clone though. When I cooked my pumpkin, i cooked a bunch extra and stored in a sanitized container. I was thinking of racking into the secondary onto the remaining roasted pumpkin, anyone try that with good results?

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy"

Old 09-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #28
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

just had this last night. good beer, very smooth.

graham cracker is right!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #29
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2630 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 2138

I get ginger (i.e., ginger snap cookies) when I drink it.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #30
Elimination
Recipes 

I'm probably going to try to make this tomorrow, pretty excited!

Quick Reply