New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #161
ThatGuyRyan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine has been in secondary for a while and with the crystalized ginger that I used the Pumpking taste is there but no way near the level of the real Pumpking. I would have to agree that they are using some sort of extract.

shat happens

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #162
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2651 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 2152

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifisticuffs View Post
Wouldn't a fully-carbed beer throw off your hydrometer readings though? I suspect the carbonation would make your readings higher than they truly are (unless you left it out so it'd get flat).

I'm loving this thread, btw. It reads like a freakin' mystery novel.
I'm guessing Castle knows to degas it first. Stirring or other agitation works, or sucking a vacuum on it with a foodsaver accessory tube works too.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #163
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2651 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 2152

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyRyan View Post
Mine has been in secondary for a while and with the crystalized ginger that I used the Pumpking taste is there but no way near the level of the real Pumpking. I would have to agree that they are using some sort of extract.
which recipe did you pattern your's after? How much candied ginger did you use? Vanilla (bean)?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #164
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifisticuffs View Post
Wouldn't a fully-carbed beer throw off your hydrometer readings though? I suspect the carbonation would make your readings higher than they truly are (unless you left it out so it'd get flat).

I'm loving this thread, btw. It reads like a freakin' mystery novel.
I filled a 1/2 pint mason jar about 80% full, put the lid on loosely, threw a stirbar in there and put it on the stirplate first. Had to turn the stirplate off a couple times to prevent it foaming over. By the time it had reached room temp it was pretty flat. I even left it in the hydro tube overnight and looked again this morning.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #165
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I took the brewery tour at Southern Tier this weekend...amazing! Anyway, I found out from the guide that they run every beer through something called a "hopback". It gets run through here between the boil and primary fermentation. This is where the guide said most of the spices are added, though they are added in the boil as well. We as homebrewers don't have this type of equipment, obviously.
Anyway, I was thinking about adding lactose late in the boil or later in the process for that sweetness. I'm also going to try roasting the pumpkin skin on next time. That one flavor I can't nail is the key. I don't think it's Graham cracker extract, but as homebrewers, that might be the route we have to go to achieve that flavor...still though, there's has a warm flavor, even when served cold. Howdtheydothat?!

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #166
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Good info Moody. They call the spices used in pumpkin pie (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, ginger) the 'warm' spices. So maybe that's the 'warming' you're talking about.

Yesterday I made two mixes just to see the difference that cloves and allspice made. They were:
4 parts Saigon Cinnamon
2 parts Ginger
1 part Nutmeg
1 part Allspice (mixture #1 only)
1 part Cloves (mixture #2 only)

Biggest thing I learned from it was the added perception of sweetness from the cloves. Allspice more peppery. House smelled wonderful.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #167
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Have any of you tried this beer? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/imperial-pumpkin-pie-ale-200122/

I'm sure the flavor profile won't be exactly the same (especially since it doesn't have any pumpkin in it) but the simplicity is appealing, the grain bill looks delicious, and the spices will be (I would guess) slightly more distinct but balanced since there won't be quite so much going on as some of the recipes in this thread. I was thinking instead of using lactose that I might just mash at about 158-160 to get a little more residual sweetness towards the finish. Thoughts?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #168
MCKemp
Recipes 

My wife and I are homebrewing for the first time this weekend and are coming out swinging starting with a Pumpking clone. We merged the parts of EuBrew and mrames recipes we liked into one. We're huge fans of pumpkin ales and have already gathered all the ingredients and read this entire thread twice pulling out the best ideas we could find. Any suggestions or comments on our recipes are greatly appreciated! All credit to mrames for the "procedures."

Southern Tier Pumking Ale Clone

Ingredients:
• 4 lbs American Crystal 10L Malt (Mash)
• 1.5 lbs Victory Malt (Mash)
• 4 lb pumpkin (roasted & cubed) (Mash)
• 2.5 lb Breiss Pilsen DME (60 min)
• .5 oz. U.S. Northern Brewer(8.6%), (60 min)
• 6 lb Breiss Pilsen DME (30 min-late addition)
• 2 tsp Irish Moss (15 min) (4 tsp if pumpkin melts)
• 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (10 min)
• 1/3 tsp Nutmeg (10 min)
• 1.5 tsp Ginger (ground) (10 min)
• 1/3 tsp Cloves (10 min)
• 1/4 tsp Allspice (10 min)
• 1 oz. Sterling(7%), 10 min
• WLP002 English Ale Yeast
• 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (priming)
• 1 tsp Graham Cracker Extract (priming)
• 11 oz Brown Sugar (priming)

Procedure:
1. Roast the peeled/cubed pumpkin, temper in the oven at 175°.
2. Add Grains & Pumpkin to 5.5 gallon of cold water, heat to 175° T1 00:00
3. Maintain 175° temp for 45 minutes T1 00:45
4. Rinse grain with quart 175° water, bring to boil, slowly add 2.5lbs DME & Hops T2 01:25
5. Boil for 30 minutes and slowly add 6lbs DME (Watch for flame-out) T2 01:55
6. Boil for 15 minutes more and add irish moss T2 02:10
7. Boil for 5 minutes more and add hops and spices T2 02:15
8. Continue until all DME dissolved T2 02:25
9. Finish boil for 10 minute T2 02:35
10. Cool wort from 212° to 70° as quickly as possible T3 02:40
11. Wort at 80° T3 ~03:10
12. Aerate and rack wort into primary fermenter
13. Take SG reading and record. Pitch yeast and seal

Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #169
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The only thong i'd say ingredients wise, is that Pumking uses magnum hops at 60 min, and then sterling hops later in the boil. 10 min or so. Since you're doing partial mash, make sure you're putting your pumpkin in a bag for steeping that is similar to the bag you're steeping your specialty grains in. Season that pumpkin with pumpkin pie spice before baking too.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #170
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oh, and good luck on your first venture! Sanitize, organize, and keep good notes!

Quick Reply