Originally Posted by Cannondale
For this years' pumpkin ale I decided to try to clone ST Pumking. I did a side-by-side last and it is very difficult to tell it from the genuine article. The intense aroma, unique graham cracker/raw pumpkin flavour, and spicing are all there. Recipe is based on label/ST website, various forums and my own speculation and tweaking when racking to secondary. I think the keys are the lactose and the ginger/vanilla. I really wasn't expecting that I would closely replicate the unique flavour profile of pumking, so I am both surprised and very pleased with the outcome.
Vol: 5.5 gal
Kettle Vol: 7 gal
IBU: appx. 34
SRM: appx. 11
14 lbs. 2-Row Pale malt
1 lb. Victory
12 oz. Crystal 80°L
1 large Pumpkin (skinned, cubed and roasted with honey then added to mash)
1 lb. Demerara sugar (added after hot break)
3/4 oz. Magnum @ 60 min.
1/4 oz. Saaz @ 15 min.
8 oz. Lactose @ 15 min.
1/2 tsp. Yeast nutrient @ 10 min.
1 Whirlfloc tab @ 10 min.
2 tbsp. chopped Candied Ginger @ 5 min.
2 Cinnamon sticks @ 5 min.
1/2 tsp. Cloves @ 5 min.
1.2 tsp. grated Nutmeg @ 5 min.
1/2 tsp. Allspice @ 5 min.
1 Vanilla Bean (added to secondary)
1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon (added to secondary)
2 packs Safale US-05
Mashed @ 152°F for 90 min.
Boiled for 60 min.
Fermented @ 66°F RT for 2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary. Force carbonated in keg.
Notes: The lactose could possibly be increased from 8 oz. to 10 oz., but definitely no more than that. Excluding the allspice and nutmeg might nudge it even closer to an exact clone, but it is not critical. I think that they key elements are the victory malt, lactose, vanilla and ginger.
After reading this thread, I decided to dip my toe in the waters of this beer, using the recipe above as a starting point.
I made a test batch (1.5g) and made a couple modifications:
-Instead of pumpkin (hard to find atm), I boiled, mashed (as in mashed potatoes) the sweet potato, then spread it thinly and roasted @ 400deg. This led to significant carmelization of the sweet potato, especially in the thinner sections. I then added it the mash, and used the water I boiled the potato in as my dunk-sparge water (I am BIABing).
-Subbed light muscovado for the demerera
-Upped the victory by 50% (homemade, toasted 2-row for 15min @350)
So far, so good. the wort tasted great although the spices were very subtle. The smell out of the fermenter isn't very spicy/gingersnappy either, so I may add a spice tea/tincture either at bottling or when I rack to secondary for the vanilla bean & clearing.
I'll try to update the thread once it's ready!