Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
finny13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If you were to add in this graham cracker flavoring, do you think you would add all 4 ounces or would this be overkill?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #12
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobrew View Post
Has anyone tried to contact the brewer at Souther Tier to see if he'll reveal some more info on his recipe? I love this beer, but it is very difficult to find in Chicago. I need to figure out how to make this at home so I can enjoy it to my heart's content.
Dude, I also live in Chicago, and the beer is everywhere. Armanetti's on Lincoln and Addison has a ton of it, as does West Lakeview Liquors on Addison and Levitt. Granted both of those place are in Lakeview, but that's near where I live. I'm sure other Armanetti's have it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finny13 View Post
If you were to add in this graham cracker flavoring, do you think you would add all 4 ounces or would this be overkill?
I personally would just taste as you go, as you would with Vanilla or Hazelnut extract.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #13
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ok, i tasted another bottle (we split it into 2 batches, 1 had real vanilla extract added). i tried 2 now with the vanilla and holy **** it's incredibly close to the real thing. it's missing the cake/graham cracker (i think the graham cracker extract would do this) but the malt/hops/sweetness/spices are spot on. it's quite a delicious beer and i will without a doubt be brewing this again, probably before next Halloween.

the 'vanilla' batch is much closer to Pumking than the non-vanilla. when made again, the vanilla will be added to the entire batch at bottling.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #14
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

How much vanilla did you add, and how much would it translate to for a full 5 gallon batch?

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Old 09-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #15
jwible204
Recipes 

well the total batch was 10 gallons, but i only added vanilla to 5 gallons of it. i soaked 4 ounces of vodka in 3 vanilla beans for 4 weeks, then added the vodka to the bottling bucket.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #16
chicagobrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by munklunk View Post
Dude, I also live in Chicago, and the beer is everywhere. Armanetti's on Lincoln and Addison has a ton of it, as does West Lakeview Liquors on Addison and Levitt. Granted both of those place are in Lakeview, but that's near where I live. I'm sure other Armanetti's have it also.

I personally would just taste as you go, as you would with Vanilla or Hazelnut extract.
I can't seem to find it in Wicker Park. The Armanetti's on Western doesn't carry it. The only place I've seen it is Binny's.

I left a message with the head brewer this morning. I'll let everyone know if he get's back to me. I'm not holding my breath, but you never know if they'll share.

O'zapft is!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
pqler1
Recipes 

My recipe is very similar to the ones posted here however I threw in a pack of crushed graham crackers in the last 5 min of the boil. Just racked to secondary and going to add a dash of vanilla extract. Will let y'all know how it turns out! Looking at 10% ABV as well. Yowza!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
jwible204
Recipes 

just wanted to update here. so far every person i've given it to has absolutely loved it, even the BMC drinkers. they've all said it's more of Pumpkin Pie Ale than the Pumpkin Ales they've tried elsewhere. attached is a photo. this beer kicks ass!!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #19
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

whoa you gotta find a way to shrink your photos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
well the total batch was 10 gallons, but i only added vanilla to 5 gallons of it. i soaked 4 ounces of vodka in 3 vanilla beans for 4 weeks, then added the vodka to the bottling bucket.
so you never list what you spice additions were. other than the vanilla what did you put in? what quantities and when? did you blend each of the two batches or bottle separately?

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #20
jwible204
Recipes 

see here.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/impe...ie-ale-200122/

Quick Reply