Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sour Beer Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
cellardoor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Sour Beer Yeast

In November I bought the ingredients to brew a Flemish red including the yeast WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix. I read in this months BYO issue that Wyeast Roselare blend is available starting in April. I know Roselare yeast is highly regarded as a wonderful yeast. My question is what are the major differences between th White Labs yeast I have and the Roselare? Would holding off brewing my sour ale and waiting to brew with Roselare be worth it?

Thanks

Cellar Door Brewery

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2812 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I would brew now with what you have and brew again in april with the Roselare.
But then again I'd be happy brewing just sometime between now and April.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
jvetter
Recipes 

Check the wild brews book and see what it suggests. There are different types of sour ales so it depends on what your going for. 655 has brett, pediocaucus, lactobacillus, as well as some sacharomyces. To me 655 seems best suited to a lambic.

If I remember correctly its the lactobacillus and pediocaucus that provide the sour. Brett is known more for its wonderful barnyard and horseblanket flavor. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Need to go back and read that book again. And to think, I just made a lambic.

Keg1: Belgian IPA
Keg2: Wee Heavy
Keg3: Vienna Lager
Secondary: Rye Wine, Gluten Free Saison
Aging: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout w/ Brett, 2009 Lambic, Kriek, Framboise, 2010 Lambic, 2011 Lambic

Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvetter View Post
Check the wild brews book and see what it suggests. There are different types of sour ales so it depends on what your going for. 655 has brett, pediocaucus, lactobacillus, as well as some sacharomyces. To me 655 seems best suited to a lambic.

If I remember correctly its the lactobacillus and pediocaucus that provide the sour. Brett is known more for its wonderful barnyard and horseblanket flavor. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Need to go back and read that book again. And to think, I just made a lambic.
They all pretty much have the same bugs in them, just different ratios. Brian from Wyeast says that the Roselare blend and their Lambic blend are the same except for the ratios. I'm sure the White Labs will be different, but its worth trying.

WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1
A unique blend perfect for Belgian style beers. Includes Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.

Wyeast lambic blend:
Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria.

Neither one says which brett they have in them. The Wyeast has a wheat yeast and a sherry yeast in it, I think the White labs just has a neutral ale yeast

Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
jvetter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
They all pretty much have the same bugs in them, just different ratios. Brian from Wyeast says that the Roselare blend and their Lambic blend are the same except for the ratios. I'm sure the White Labs will be different, but its worth trying.

WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1
A unique blend perfect for Belgian style beers. Includes Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.

Wyeast lambic blend:
Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria.

Neither one says which brett they have in them. The Wyeast has a wheat yeast and a sherry yeast in it, I think the White labs just has a neutral ale yeast
Unless you go with one of the isolated strains, like WLP675 (Malolactic) or WLP677 (Lactobacillus).

Aging: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout w/ Brett, 2009 Lambic, Kriek, Framboise, 2010 Lambic, 2011 Lambic

Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvetter View Post
Unless you go with one of the isolated strains, like WLP675 (Malolactic) or WLP677 (Lactobacillus).
Of course you can get all the bugs separate, but the original question was about the different blends.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
jvetter
Recipes 

True enough. Guess I forgot what a Flanders red was.

The wild brews book has WYEAST 3763 (Roselare Blend) for its flanders red, but I imagine the WLP655 would be just as good.

Good luck!

Quick Reply