Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sort of a Belgian-inspired session stout.. BJCP category?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Sort of a Belgian-inspired session stout.. BJCP category?

My brew partner and I threw this beer together from extra ingredients we had laying around at the time, and it came out pretty well. We're submitting it to a local competition, but we're not 100% sure what category we should put it in. Thoughts? Unless the consensus is otherwise, we were going to submit it as a Belgian Specialty Ale.

OG: 1.061
FG: 1.021
ABV: 5.2%
IBU: 34.8

6-row 44.44%
wheat 33.33%
black patent 5.5%
crystal 40L 5.5%
carapils 5.5%
Victory 5.5%

1oz of Nugget hops at 60min
WLP500 Trappist Ale

Taste/Aroma - Phenolic, fruity aroma. Taste is a moderate Belgian character, with a hint of alcohol (fermented it pretty high) and some nice roast character that blends in nicely. Very drinkable beer.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd say you're on the money with 16E - Belgian Specialty. Just make sure you detail what makes it "special" for the judges.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply