Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sorachi Ace Hops - What have you done?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sorachi Ace Hops - What have you done?

I've made a number of Saison variants using Sorachi Aces, and I know one other person made my Sorachi Saison. I've seen a few others mention it in random threads, so I wanted to know: What have you brewed with Sorachi Ace?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

No help to you other than some props... I have your recipe in conditioning right now. Since they're Japanese hops, I guess a Sapporo or Kirin clone would be in order. IIRC Great Divide in Denver made a riced up lager in the same style.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
jezter6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
No help to you other than some props... I have your recipe in conditioning right now. Since they're Japanese hops, I guess a Sapporo or Kirin clone would be in order. IIRC Great Divide in Denver made a riced up lager in the same style.
I saw a thread by Cheese that he was thinking of a Sorachi Hefe as well. Can't wait to see if that turns out!

As for conditioning...this thing gets SOOO much better with age, but starts to taste great right out of the 2 week bottle time. I've yet to keg it (will be doing so in about 2-3 weeks), so I'd be anxious to see how that turns out.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
IIRC Great Divide in Denver made a riced up lager in the same style.
Samurai Ale, used rice and barley as sugar sources but brewed with an ale yeast and was unfiltered. It was the beer I was assigned to pour at the Ft. Collins Brewfest, it was pretty good but I cannot say for sure whether they used Sorachi.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've used them twice, but I can't say they were a standout in the beers. I brewed two beers with exactly the same hop schedule. One beer had 40% wheat and the other had no wheat. A fellow HBTer tried the beers and said he could taste the Sorachi. This was my first time using 3 new hops so it was hard for me to pick out the Sorachi. I made the "American wheat" with WL 001 yeast. I bittered with Pacific Gem, then a 20 min addition of Pa. Gem, Sorachi Ace, and Glacier, and then a 5 min addition of Glacier. The Pa Gem was a stand out in aroma - the purported berry aroma definitely came through.

My reasoning in the hop choices was Glacier supposedly can have an Iced Tea like flavor so I figured a little lemon and berry would be a nice combo. I will make this again, but will back off on the Pa Gem bittering and up the Sorachi at 20 min, and maybe add it at 5 min too.

Sorry I can't give you any more info, other than to say it definitely didn't give a bad taste. I think I'm going to try some in a lager this winter.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

From my experience using Sorachi Ace they DOMINATE the hop flavor. You can still taste the other hops it's just Sorachi Ace stands out the most. I made an IPA with Warrior to bitter, then at 5 min left on a 5 gallon batch I used 2oz EACH of simcoe amarillo and sorachi ace. The Sorachi ace comes through the most. You can still taste the others but the Sorachi Ace is the stand out there. I made a 7.77%porter(used 2lbs unmalted flaked oats, diddn't have enough charred malts to call it a stout though) and only used Sorachi Ace! OMG!!! THAT BEER ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2oz to bitter, 2oz at 5min and 4oz to dry hop! KILLER BEER!!! did a hefe with sorachi ace. Turned out AWESOME!!! of course there was clovey esters from the yeast but this hop ROCKS with those stinky funky estery yeasts! I'm thinking of doing a saison with sorachi ace and crystal. I think they'd compliment each other well. SORACHI ACE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 10-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsawyer
From my experience using Sorachi Ace they DOMINATE the hop flavor. You can still taste the other hops it's just Sorachi Ace stands out the most. I made an IPA with Warrior to bitter, then at 5 min left on a 5 gallon batch I used 2oz EACH of simcoe amarillo and sorachi ace. The Sorachi ace comes through the most. You can still taste the others but the Sorachi Ace is the stand out there. I made a 7.77%porter(used 2lbs unmalted flaked oats, diddn't have enough charred malts to call it a stout though) and only used Sorachi Ace! OMG!!! THAT BEER ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2oz to bitter, 2oz at 5min and 4oz to dry hop! KILLER BEER!!! did a hefe with sorachi ace. Turned out AWESOME!!! of course there was clovey esters from the yeast but this hop ROCKS with those stinky funky estery yeasts! I'm thinking of doing a saison with sorachi ace and crystal. I think they'd compliment each other well. SORACHI ACE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like you've got plenty of hops around - nice! Where can you get Sorachi Ace this year? I didn't see it yet, remember seeing it last year.
That IPA recipe sounds pretty good. Do you think it could be toned down to an APA (less bittering) and still get the right taste/flavors from those hops?

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
jezter6
Recipes 

The only place I know to find them was freshops.com.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Having never brewed with Sorachi, do you recommend I try some --- possibly for a twist on my "Americanized ESB" - beer with an OG around 1.058 that has about 25 IBU...
single-hop or best when used with another (cascade, chinook, etc)?
Also, how does it do for flavor when the IBUs aren't in the APA/IPA range?

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 10-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Tried my first SA last night. Decided to chew on one while I was measuring out my DH. It was terribly bitter - I had to spit it out and had a hard time getting the taste out of my mouth even after a couple glasses of cheap red wine.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply