Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sorachi Ace

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
cimirie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 801
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sorachi Ace

So, I cleaned out my freezer yesterday and I found a hidden surprise: 12 oz of Sorachi Ace hops that I had totally forgotten about. I used them last December (ie 14 months ago) in a Belgian strong. I wrapped them up tightly and in the freezer they have stayed since.

As they are not vacuum sealed, I'm curious as to their vitality at this point. At the same time, I don't have any desire to toss almost a opined of hops. I'm planning an IPA in the next few weeks that will utilize a bunch of the SA mixed with Fuggles, cascade, and magnum.

How should I adjust the SA levels based on their age? 60% strength? 50%? I'm just looking for anecdotal direction, not empirical facts. Thanks!

__________________

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!


Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout
cimirie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimirie View Post
So, I cleaned out my freezer yesterday and I found a hidden surprise: 12 oz of Sorachi Ace hops that I had totally forgotten about. I used them last December (ie 14 months ago) in a Belgian strong. I wrapped them up tightly and in the freezer they have stayed since.

As they are not vacuum sealed, I'm curious as to their vitality at this point. At the same time, I don't have any desire to toss almost a opined of hops. I'm planning an IPA in the next few weeks that will utilize a bunch of the SA mixed with Fuggles, cascade, and magnum.

How should I adjust the SA levels based on their age? 60% strength? 50%? I'm just looking for anecdotal direction, not empirical facts. Thanks!
promash has a tool for this and I can run it through there for you. do you know the temp they were at? it makes a big difference. "FROZEN" is a wide range.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

for reference, here are a few points on the curve:

30*F = 54% AA remaining
20*F = 62%
10*F = 69%
0*F = 75%

__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
cimirie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 801
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker

promash has a tool for this and I can run it through there for you. do you know the temp they were at? it makes a big difference. "FROZEN" is a wide range.
Thank you for the offer and the data points. I'm out of town at the moment, but for giggles I'd sy they were frozen at around 27* for most of the time.

Are those numbers you posted based on temperature AND time, or is it simply a function of temperature, regardless of timeframe?
__________________

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!


Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout
cimirie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimirie View Post
Are those numbers you posted based on temperature AND time, or is it simply a function of temperature, regardless of timeframe?
The tool in promash has you select three things.

(1) the temp the hops were stored at
(2) how many months they have been stored
(3) how they are packaged
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
cimirie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 801
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I also have some hops from the exact same timeframe, but were vacuum sealed in the same freezer. What does the software say about their strength?

Thanks so much for the help!

__________________

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!


Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout
cimirie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I might have given you bad number the first time. I wasn't sure if "wrapped tightly" would be considered "unsealed" or "sealed, but not vacuumed".

this is 14 months of storage:

unealed in red.
air tight container, but not vacuumed in black
vacuum sealed in blue.

30*F = 54% 63% 74%
20*F = 62% 69% 78%
10*F = 69% 76% 83%
0*F = 75% 80% 86%

__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools