Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Some Sugar Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
phished880
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Some Sugar Help

I was killing some time today on amazon and came across some sugars i'd never heard of. I was curious has anyone ever used them, if so, in what? and how much? was it noticable?

1. Pure Japanese Okinawa Black Sugar
2. Brown Rice Malt
3. Dark Muscovado Sugar
4. Date Sugar
5. Sucanat Sugar
6. Whey Low Granules
7. Whey Low Gold
8. Piloncillo

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Although I haven't heard of some of them, people have used date, muscovado and sucanant sugurs in recipes before.

The the thing about using interesting sugars is that purer, more refined, the sugar (like plain white table sugar) the less flavor is imparted, because it is converted to alcohol.
I'll use mollasses as an example is that a percentage of it is fermentable, meaning that the purest sugar content will be converted to alcohol, leaving only the "impurities" the dark burnt caramel/sulfur that you think of with that stuff as flavor.

It's the same with brown sugar (which is really mollases added to table sugar), the darker Belgian candy sugars, those un-refined mexican and chinese sugars and really even honey all will work the same way. The "pure" sugar will become alcohol leaving behind the unfermentable "flavors" behind.

Also that's why we make or use different grades of belgian sugars, going from clear to dark...they are just really the same stuff boiled until it begins to caramelize (maillard reaction) and that is what adds flavor.

Most of those will have their own unique contribution of flavor. I'm really intrigued with the japanese black sugar...but that might just be something died with squid ink or something and not really ave any different flavor.

So it's worth playing around.

Have fun!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply