Soaking raw cocao beans in vodka...should I add more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbauer210

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a Chocolate stout. I have just put it into the primary. I plan on putting some raw cacao beans into the secondary. I crushed them into chunks and am soaking them in vodka for a week to extract the flavors. In total I am using 10oz of beans. I put them into a container and covered them in vodka last night. It was actualy quite a liberal amount of vodka too just to cover the beans. This morning I woke up and just about all the vodka has been soaked up by the beans! Should I add more to re cover them? I am afraid of putting alot of vodka into my brew but I dont want the beans to get ruined. Any one else experience this?

If you only covered the beans, you should be OK to add a bit more vodka. You want enough in there to create an infusion of the chocolate flavor. I did this with vanilla beans and used an entire 750 of vodka. After about 4 weeks, I had the richest vanilla extract I've ever had.

You're afraid of getting alcohol in your brew?;)

You'll have to add more, because otherwise what is in the beans will stay there.

Latest posts

Back