Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > So, point taken when using Belgian yeast...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Chaos_Being
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default So, point taken when using Belgian yeast...

...even if you don't think it will blow off, use a tube anyways!

I started a batch of Belgian Pale Ale on Saturday, and pitched some WLP530. I had a lag of about 24 hours, and by Sunday night, it was starting to slowly bubble. By Monday morning, there was a thin layer of yeast on top, and by Monday night, a thicker krausen which appeared to be climbing. Did I take the hint? Heck no! "It isn't even a big beer, and there is enough headspace, it should be fine," I told myself.

I went into the basement this morning, to be greeted by the aftermath of a yeasty bomb blast. The carboy was sitting in a puddle of yeast, and yeast was flowing down the sides. There was yeast splattered on the wall, and on the fermenters nearby. The inside piece of the 3-piece airlock was on the floor, and there was a perfect ring of yeast on the ceiling from the impact of the airlock lid (the lid, by the way, was nowhere to be found. Perhaps it was atomized )

If I had a split personality, one of them would have told me "I told you so." I rigged up a quick blow-off tube and cleaned up the majority of the mess, and had to run to work with no time for breakfast. So yeah...lesson learned! I'm just glad that I do my fermenting in the unfinished side of the basement, so nothing was permanently stained or damaged

Bottled: Hrothgar Hefe, OktoberFast Ale, Irish Stout, Dopplebock, Schwarzbier
Bottled/Aging: Oaked Concord Wine, Sweet Mead, Raspberry Melomel
Up Next: American Amber, Goblin Rocket Fuel 2.0, Red Rye Ale, Imperial Stout, etc...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pictures!!!!!!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

TOP CROP THAT YEAST!

Top cropping yeast from a carboy. - ALEiens Homebrew Club

Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Chaos_Being
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool video. I may have to try that in the future, I don't have most of the equipment that he used to do that. At almost a week later, my Belgian is still at high krausen, with about 2-3 inches of pure yeast on top of the beer. In comparison, my batch of American Ale that I pitched with S-05 has already flocculated. It's interesting to see the differences between different yeast strains.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures, when I found a beer explosion at 6am while trying to get ready for work without being late, a quick cleanup came first

Bottled: Hrothgar Hefe, OktoberFast Ale, Irish Stout, Dopplebock, Schwarzbier
Bottled/Aging: Oaked Concord Wine, Sweet Mead, Raspberry Melomel
Up Next: American Amber, Goblin Rocket Fuel 2.0, Red Rye Ale, Imperial Stout, etc...

Quick Reply