Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > So many types of yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
Kubed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
Let me know what yeast bricks you are interested in and I will look into tracking them down.

Forrest
Well, what can you get?

I think yeast that gets a lot of mileage/has a lot of utility would be pretty popular. Nottingham, WLP001, WLP320, WLP400 and Red Star Montrachet are all strains that I don't think I could have too much of on hand.
Bottled: IPA, Hefeweizen, Magic Hat #9 clone, CCA, Apfelwein, Panty Dropping Apple Cider
Kegged: Belgian White PM, Orfy's Hob Goblin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Even Poppa Charlie Papazian tends to use a single strain of yeast for most beers...It's a strain he's been cultivating for 20 years...He talks about it a little bit in this interview on basicbrewing http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...-08history.mp3

In fact according to a thread from last week, it is now commercially available...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
HBDrinker008
Recipes 

Wyeast 1056

Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBDrinker008
Wyeast 1056
Are you saying this is the papazian yeast?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Are you saying this is the papazian yeast?
The Papazian yeast is called "Cry Havoc". 1056 is a very nice neutral well attenuating yeast, and it's a favorite of many brewers.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I pretty much always use liquid yeast (dry is fine, not trying to start that argument), and I pretty much only keep a couple around.

I use White Labs American Ale yeast as my staple. I use it for everything from a light blond, to a ESB, to an IPA to a Stout.

I also keep on hand White Labs WLP300 Hefe yeast on hand for all of my wheat beers. Hefe's, american wheats, fruit wheats, whatever.

I also keep on hand WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast. I use this for all my Belgains, whether it be Golden Ales, Dubbles, Tripples whatever. However, I am considering changing this. I am going to try a different Belgian yeast this summer and see if I like it better. This yeast has a wonderfully complex flavor/aroma, but it can be a PITA as it is a sloooowww fermenter and flocculation is pretty bad. With this yeast I have to give it a long fermentation, and a long cold crash before I can keg it and even after a cold crash, I still get the occasional pint of yeast. I think I might try the blend WLP575 and see what I think of it.

And that is pretty much all I will use all summer. This winter with a colder basement, i tried a couple new yeasts that I just about fell in love with.

Wyeast 2112 California lager. Fermented great in my 58 degree basement and was very clean yeast. Malt/hop profiles really shined with this yeast.

German Ale 1007. This is probably my favorite yeast as of right now. At the low end of the temp range (58) where I was fermenting, it fermented very, very clean. Almost lager-esque, so much so that I would have no problem making an Okoberfest, or Bock or some other sort of lager like that. I dont think I could make the American Lager style with it, it is not quite THAT clean, but it is a very clean, very active, very good yeast at that temp.

Quick Reply