Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > So how much dark malt is too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default So how much dark malt is too much?

So my recent stouts have both turned out pretty harsh. My guess is that I've been pushing the envelope on the dark malt front. Here are the recipes for my last two stouts:

Old Dirty Bastard Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Dark Horse Imperial Stout

Now, I haven't consulted Ray Daniels yet (which is next on my list), but I'm thinking that the harshness is because I pushed the envelope too far. Too much roasted barley, too much chocolate, too much coffee malt. What's your opinion? And do you think that they'll mellow out with bottle age? They're not bad by any stretch...just much more harsh than I like my stouts---even the imperial variety.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

More than a pound, total, of dark malts is pushing it. You have almost three pounds in one and four in the other.

Fortunately, they will mellow, might take 6-8 months.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply