Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Smoked Porter turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Brewing Clamper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Smoked Porter turned out great!

I don't usually brag, but my first attempt at a smoked porter turned out great! I have never been this patient with any brew, but I knew this would require it. I brewed it on July 16th, Primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 3 weeks, then kegged and cold conditioned until today. I just now tried it for the first time. Man, too bad it's barely 1:30pm and I have my son to look after, otherwise I would get stoopeed on this! The only thing I would do different next time is use more smoked malt. The SWMBO thinks it's enough smoke, but I would like just a wee bit more!

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Klainmeister
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

And you don't include the recipe. Blasphemy!

Bayern, i sag ma mir.

Bayern, un des Bayerische bier!

Old 09-29-2007, 01:48 AM   #3
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I did a home smoked porter, turned out pretty good. Keeps getting better with time. I let the beer ferment for 2 weeks, then it sat in the secondary for a month and an additional month in the bottles. I smoked some munich malt over alder wood and added it to the recipe at 10% of the grist. Turned out quite smokey, I like that but most people will probably find it too much. How much did you use for your recipe?

Old 10-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think I ended up using 3lbs of Rauchmalt. That's the most I could get in there in a PM with the rest of the specialty grains (5lb mash total). I think it needs more, I suppose I could swing that by using a combo of dark/amber extracts to free up room in the mash, but I'd rather not do that... I might just have to go AG on this one! I'll post a recipe as soon as I get my system fully recovered from a recent crash (user induced).

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Quick Reply