Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Smoked malt recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
slowbie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Smoked malt recommendations?

I'm gearing up to make a smoked doppelbock in a couple weeks, and my LHBS has the following smoked malt options:

Weyermann smoked malt

Briess cherry wood smoked malt

Simpsons peated malt

Weyermann oak smoked wheat

I've already eliminated the last two as I don't want wheat or peat (unless someone has compelling reasons why I should use one of them), but i was wondering if anyone has experience with or input on either the Weyermann smoked our the Briess cherry wood smoked (or both). Does anyone know what kind of wood the Weyermann is smoked over?

Here's my recipe:

3 gallon batch

4 gallon boil

OG 1.082 FG: 1.020 IBU: 27 SRM: 18

6 lbs smoked malt
3 lbs Munich (light)
8 oz. Caramunich

1 oz. Hallertau @ 60 min

Munich lager yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3337 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2839

Weyermann is smoked beechwood. Briess is cherry like as you said.

I've used both together and separately. I really like that Briess. It gives a really bacon-y sweetness. If you just smell it you'll see what I mean. Checkout my Cherry Beech recipe dropdown under my avatar for some info on a smoke beer I made with both. Lots of good discussion and pics. Good Luck!

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
slowbie
Recipes 

Thanks passedpawn. I was leaning towards the Weyermann, but your response and your recipe thread have convinced me that the Briess would go better in a doppelbock. I can't wait to brew this one.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah the briess is good stuff I used it a few times and really like it. Using it in a dark beer really accentuates those dark chocolate like flavors especially with some cocoa nibs.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Weyermann is what I use for my rauchbiers....Beechwood Flavor goes very well with the Malty Bock flavor. Very traditional. The original "Aecht Schlenkerla" makes and UrBock (beechwood smoke malt) if you want to do some "research" before you decide. This is my Oktoberfest beer ever year and it has a small but absolutely Rabid following. Cherry smoke though could be great too!

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
slowbie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
Weyermann is what I use for my rauchbiers....Beechwood Flavor goes very well with the Malty Bock flavor. Very traditional. The original "Aecht Schlenkerla" makes and UrBock (beechwood smoke malt) if you want to do some "research" before you decide. This is my Oktoberfest beer ever year and it has a small but absolutely Rabid following. Cherry smoke though could be great too!
Despite having drank Aecht Schlenkerla's beers for a couple years now, I just found out yesterday they make a smoked doppelbock. I was already planning to make one before I found this out, but needless to say I have one in the fridge right now for research.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Right now I'm drinking an Irish Red ale made with a bit of peat malt. When I first kegged it I thought holy crap, way too smokey. But after a few weeks the smoke has died to an earthiness that is almost perfect. (Truth is I always start drinking beers a couple weeks early. )

If you like smoke beers, don't be shy. Hit it hard, up to 100% with rauchmalt. The smoke will fade.

BTW, if you try the peat malt, be really careful, a little goes a long way. Smoke malt, when used as a bacground flavor, adds a really nice earthiness. Keep the beer balanced (bitterness ratio) and the smoke blends right in there nicely.

patthebrewer Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Be careful with the Peat smoked, because it's INTENSE.
For the other, have a good hand!

I'm planning a Smoked Weizenbock one day with the oak smoked wheat, and maybe I'll add a bit of other smoke malts, to add an even more complex smoked flavor.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
slowbie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
If you like smoke beers, don't be shy. Hit it hard, up to 100% with rauchmalt. The smoke will fade.
I wanted to do 100% rauchmalt, but I was concerned that I'd be missing out on some of the malty flavors I'd want in a doppelbock. What do you think about that? I'd probably keep the caramunich, so I guess it'd be more like 95% rauchmalt.

If I were to do that, do you think I'd be better off mixing the cherry with the weyermann like in your cherry beech, or could I do all cherry wood? I'm tempted to do all cherry wood just because Briess says I shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroux View Post
I'm planning a Smoked Weizenbock one day with the oak smoked wheat, and maybe I'll add a bit of other smoke malts, to add an even more complex smoked flavor.
Stone's coming out with a barleywine that features the oak smoked wheat within a month or two, and depending on how that comes out I may try to make my own.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
I wanted to do 100% rauchmalt, but I was concerned that I'd be missing out on some of the malty flavors I'd want in a doppelbock. What do you think about that? I'd probably keep the caramunich, so I guess it'd be more like 95% rauchmalt.

If I were to do that, do you think I'd be better off mixing the cherry with the weyermann like in your cherry beech, or could I do all cherry wood? I'm tempted to do all cherry wood just because Briess says I shouldn't.

Stone's coming out with a barleywine that features the oak smoked wheat within a month or two, and depending on how that comes out I may try to make my own.
I seem to recall that Schlenkerla's smoked bock was oak, not beechwood. I could be wrong, but you might want to look into that.

The Briess really has that bacony thing going on. Too much might taste like breakfast. Hard to say, but if they are warning you, there might be a good reason. No matter what, let us hear how it turns out.

Quick Reply