Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Smell of a healthy starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Kai
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Default Smell of a healthy starter

So I went to my local aquarium store, all stoked to pick up some aeration equipment, and was a little disappointed. Instead of an inline HEPA, I've got a built-in unspecified filter in my air pump and the grace of G'd to rely on for sterility.

I've set the pump intake on top of the out-vent of my home HEPA filter, and I'm 24h aerating a starter on a Wyeast 1968 (Fuller's) ESB yeast, with the incremental feeding and all as per Roving Brewer. Right now the smells coming out are great - healthy, wonderful bread-dough scents - but I recognise the very real chance of an infected starter with this McGyver'd setup.

I'm pretty certain it's healthy now - what should I be on the lookout for? Vinegary smells, I know, could mean a problem, and lacto, lambic scents will scare me. Any other good indications of starter health? I plan to improve this setup, obviously, before I risk spoiling a special-ordered yeast or a really exciting beer, but in the meantime - what do you think, guys?

Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I imagine you've used it or pitched it by now, but it sounds like you are in pretty good shape for the starter. Yes, as you expected, you would look for the same signs in a starter as you would for beer.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply