BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > SMaSH recommendation for Jarrylo hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
ThreeStrandsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default SMaSH recommendation for Jarrylo hops?

I just received 2 oz of Jarrylo hops included free in my order from Yakima Valley the other day, and I'd like to get a good sense for the characteristics of this hop, so is like to use them in a SMaSH recipe.

Being that I've only got 2 oz's, I was leaning toward 2 - 3 gallons, with a simple FWH, whirlpool, and dry hop additions.

I'd like to use Vienna as the malt, but I'm not opposed to going with something else.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on a good recipe?

Thanks!

Comparison is the thief of all joy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 03:51 AM   #2
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I've always just done standard pale malt to get a sense of a hop's characteristics, maybe a little crystal malt added, a simple American Pale Ale basically. But you should be able to pick them out regardless of the single base malt as long as no other hops are included. I do like the idea of FWH, whirlpool and dry hopping to get everything from that one hop. Let us know what you do and what you pick up from that hop.

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #3
ThreeStrandsBrewing
Recipes 

Thanks, sippin37! Excited to try this new (to me) hop

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #4
Oginme

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 99

My standard SMASH for testing hops uses Maris Otter to 1.050 sg, I usually make about 6 to 7 gallons of wort and split it preboil into batches to produce 1 gallon batches. This allows me to test 4 to 6 hops with one mashing. It makes for a longer day doing all those boils, but I can usually stagger them easily enough to keep it going smoothly.

I reduce the boil down to 40 minutes with hop additions at 30, 15, and 5 minutes with a whirlpool steep for 20 minutes after finishing the boil. The hops are rationed to give me a calculated 10 IBU at each addition (thus increasing amounts as time goes on). This methodology has produced some very nice pale ales: simple yet tasty.

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2564 Times on 1811 Posts
Likes Given: 1491

What the heck is Jamyllo's Hops???

Man, they are coming out faster than I can sample them!

Homer's Brew Log

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #6
Oginme

Recipes 

I know what you mean, Homercidal! Jarrylo is another one of what I have termed "flavor" hops. Not strong bittering but supposedly a nice punch of flavor. In this case, pear, orange, fruity with some spiciness.

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #7
Yourrealdad
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I agree with Oginme, Maris Otter for SMaSH is nice because it is a little maltier than just pale two row. Especially if you are shooting for a APA or IPA style. That being said I have made great SMaSH beers with just 2 row.

Either is fine

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #8
ThreeStrandsBrewing
Recipes 

Oginme - I LOVE that idea, and actually have a ton of other hops that I could use for other SMaSH's.

What size amounts do you typically use for the hop schedule you shared?

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #9
Oginme

Recipes 

I have not yet ordered Jarrylo to try it, so I have not worked out the hop additions for it yet. I use BeerSmith to dial in the hop add at each step.

To give you an example, for Amarillo (at 9.6% AA), I use 2 grams at 30 min, 3 grams at 15 minutes, 7.6 grams at 5 minutes and 5 grams steeping/whirlpool.

My batch size is 4 liters (I use the Mr Beer Kegs for fermenting) and I yield 7 to 9 bottles from each 4 liter batch. My target IBU is 40 (Tinseth) and I use WY1056 to ferment so I have a clean, well attenuating yeast. Mash is at 154F, target 1.050 OG, typically get 1.011 FG for a 5% abv.

When I've tasted the SMASH, I also do a little blending of some of the varieties I think will work well together with one or two of the extra bottles. At least in my system, what I get for initial aroma from a hop done this way is pretty indicative of what I will get dry hopping as well. Dry hopping will just give a lot stronger nose from what I get with this hop schedule.

edit: you can probably just ratio a different hop from what I listed above based upon difference in AA% for a quick and dirty match.

Quick Reply