SMaSH Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did some searches didn't find much tasting notes for SMaSh Beers. Hook me up if I missed them.

Couple Q's

1.) I was thinking all Vienna w/ Tet or Saaz. Do you have too step mash Viennna?

2.) I was also thinking Pale Malt with Summit (Orange Tanger flav). Do you have any recomendations on hopping rates; Target IBU's and late additions.

Thanks!!!

I did a maris otter/fuggles SMaSH following Orfy's method. I did 15G additions at first wort, 45, 30, 15, and 0. The IBU came out to 25 and my OG was 1.041. I mashed at 154F.

You can step mash vienna if you want but it's not necessary, it will work fine in a single infusion mash.

I'm planning 2 more SMaSH brews when my new temperature controller arrives. I'm going to do a Munich Dunkel with 100% munich malt and a Vienna Lager with 100% vienna malt. It's amazing what comes from simplicity, the MO Fuggles SMaSH I did is REALLY tasty.

i did a SMaSH with 10 lbs of Vienna and used 1 oz of Northern Brewer hops at 60, 1 oz at 20, and 1 oz at 5.

Single infusion at about 153F...best efficiency i've ever experienced, about 83%

It was one of the best beers i've ever tasted. i'm making it again this weekend.

i was thinking of doing a Vienna Lager SMaSH with saaz as well.

Cool - I really wanted to do the Vienna but not if it required a stepped mash.

Now to pick the hop. Northernbrewer sounds good if I can get some at the LHBS.

:mug:

As far as the summit, I would personally go for a pale ale and set your IBU's ~30ish with a FWH, then do plenty of late hop additions/dry hop to get more of the flavor/aroma from the hops.

I have been wanting to some SMaSH beers myself. I am torn between a Munich and Willamette and Munich and Sterling. I guess I may just do them both eventually..... :D

Schlenkerla said:
Another SMaSH question....

If you have say 8 lbs of 2-row and toast 2 of the 8 lbs is it still a SMaSH?
lol, we certainly do have some philosophical SMaSH questions sometimes.

the toasted grains will have a different profile and technically you'll be using crystal or something in addition to your 2-row.

doesn't mean it can't be tasty, tho. and, really, does it matter? you can still call it SMaSH if you'd like. i don't think orfy will sue.

The reason I ask my HB club is having a SMaSH competition.

I was asking about the ethical part of this. Since it was purchased as a single malt. I think its the same as hopping at different times.

Schlenkerla said:
I think its the same as hopping at different times.

I think thats a valid point. Sure you're changing the profile of it but it's the same difference as adding hops at 60min and 20 really....I say SMaSH on! :fro:

Back