Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Small Table Beer - Similar to Bells Third World Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
chapa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been trying to slim the waist for summer, and so far have been doing good, but I'm trying to make a few smaller beers that I don't have to feel so guilty about drinking a few of. I already have plenty of big beers for when I want to splurge

I had Bells Third World Beer the other day, which is about 5%, but I liked the light, dry crispness of it, with the noticeable centennial hops. Its like a REALLY toned down Two Hearted.

I want to get something similar; nice and crisp with a noticeable hop flavor, both floral and slightly citrusy. But I also want a decent balance of malt/mildness to round it out. So I figured I'd throw in some EKG along with a little cascade. I have Willamette also, if that would be better.

I don't have much in regards to specialty grain at the moment, other than maybe some c-15, c-120, flaked barley, caramunich 60, and flaked wheat & oats. This is another reason I went with some english hops to round it out. Let me know what you guys think.

SG: 1.032
SRM: 5
IBU: 20
IBU/SG: .655

Amount Item Type
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain

FWH@60 0.30 oz Centennial [6.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
30 min 0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min)
20 min 0.30 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (20 min)
0 min 0.30 oz Centennial [6.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
0 min 0.30 oz Citra [12.40 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

Dry Hops
0.50 oz Citra [12.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.50 oz Centennial [6.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Yeast: S-05 ferment around 66-68

Probably going to mash around 150 for 60 min to get it nice and dry. Maybe 90 min would even be a good idea to get good attenuation.

ABV: 3%
Calories: 140/pt (was shooting for 100 calories, but I still want an enjoyable beer)

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions

Edit: 6/5/11 Brewed this up, subbed out 1lb of 2-row for 1lb of Maris Otter(man that stuff is tasty!!) and changed ALL of the hop additions to .5oz for an estimated 29 IBUs, SG: 1.031, IBU/SG Ratio: .922. Mashed at 151 for 3 hours(had some errands pop up in the middle of brewing)

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
heywatchthis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The hop schedule looks good, the only advice I would give is that in my experience making small beers (somewhat limited), you want to mash a bit higher, so that they don't taste thin. I did an American Bitter a little bit back and mashed it at 149...it was watery thin. If I had it to do again, I would mash more like 154.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywatchthis
The hop schedule looks good, the only advice I would give is that in my experience making small beers (somewhat limited), you want to mash a bit higher, so that they don't taste thin. I did an American Bitter a little bit back and mashed it at 149...it was watery thin. If I had it to do again, I would mash more like 154.
Thanks I was kind if thinking that, and it definitely makes sense. I just remember reading you want to minimize residual sweetness, as the smaller beers can get more cloying. I plan on using S-05, so that should get me pretty dry already, and I'm not using a ton of crystal malt.
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,

Old 05-25-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Picked up a lb of marris otter while I was at the lhbs today. I'll just trade it out with a lb of the 2 row. Thought it may actually make a difference considering the minimal amount of base malt. Should help to give it just that little extra malt flavor.

Any other thoughts? I don't think I'll get to brew this until next weekend, so I have a little time to plan. Looking forward to it though.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
heywatchthis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nope...looks good to me. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Do you mean Third Coast Beer? (I don't think I'd drink something called Third World Beer! )

Anyway, Third Coast Beer is one of my summertime favorites. I've found that a really simple recipe of nothing but Maris Otter, mashed around 150, and a 60 minute addition of Centennial for about 35-40 IBU is pretty darn close.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I'm also looking for lower gravity recipes so I'd be interested to see where this one goes.
This recipe is from a thread on tastybrew.com. Someone also mentioned "the July/August 2003 Zymurgy has all the Bells recipies". From the recipe and reviews I've read it doesn't sound like this beer is low gravity. One review stated 10%.

80 ibu

5.5 gallons

mash 150-152
24 lb 2 row
1 lb victory
.5 lb 40 crystal
.5 lb 80 crystal

2 oz 10% aa centennial 60
2 oz 10% aa centennial 20
.5 oz 10% aa centennial 0

pitch on slurry of american or english ale strain

From Bells website.

Third Coast Old Ale is a cellerable American-style barleywine that has notes of dried fruit and caramel embedded in a rich malt background that will grow more complex over time.
Alcohol by Volume: 10.2%
Original Gravity: 1.098

Reason: More info

Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Do you mean Third Coast Beer? (I don't think I'd drink something called Third World Beer! )

Anyway, Third Coast Beer is one of my summertime favorites. I've found that a really simple recipe of nothing but Maris Otter, mashed around 150, and a 60 minute addition of Centennial for about 35-40 IBU is pretty darn close.
Haha your right, it's third coast beer. I've been having trouble keeping that straight, especially with the confusion of their old ale being called the same thing.

Regarding one addition at 60, I really want to get some late additions in there, so it will be more of a sessionable pale. Big hop flavor and aroma in a small beer :-) but not too big of course. I am considering going with .5 oz on the fwh just for a little more ibus, but looking at the ibu/sg chart, 20ibus looks like it's about the max for what you would want in a 1.030 beer. What was your SG on that one? I know 35-40 ibus might be too much in a 3% abv, but it sounds good to me

Bithead, the third coast old ale is the one you're talking about. Thats some good stuff too! Got one or two in my "cellar" :-) That was the only recipe I was able to find also, just because of the name. I'll have to make that someday also!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Ah yea, too confusing, Third Coast Beer and Third Coast Old Ale. Don't know much about Bell's since we don't get it here in NJ. I did score a bottle of batch 10000 when I was in Virginia over New Years. Good stuff.

Bell's website says the beer is "Assertively Hopped" and "offers a crisp, dry bitterness with a mixture of floral & herbal aromas".

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithead
Ah yea, too confusing, Third Coast Beer and Third Coast Old Ale. Don't know much about Bell's since we don't get it here in NJ. I did score a bottle of batch 10000 when I was in Virginia over New Years. Good stuff.

Bell's website says the beer is "Assertively Hopped" and "offers a crisp, dry bitterness with a mixture of floral & herbal aromas".
I couldn't seem to find that beer on their website, only the old ale. I wonder if they use some other hops to get the "herbal" aroma. Either way I like how this recipe is looking. Now I really want to brew it before next weekend :-)

Quick Reply