Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Smack pack already smacked!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
underwaterdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Smack pack already smacked!

I just received my long awaited order, and to my suprise my yeast was already smacked. It was nice and cold so I thought no problem, but after a few hours the pack still isn't expanding. I called the place that shipped it and they said the shaking during shipment probably smacked it, but it is okay, even it if doesn't grow I can still use it and be fine. Never had this happen before, should I brew or wait? I was going to brew tonight...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's not swelling at all? Are you absolutely sure that the inner pack has been activated, do a nice slow "caress" of the pack and make sure. Unless you really need to brew, I'd consider making a starter and making sure before going through the motions.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
underwaterdan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is a little swollen, but not any more than when I got it. I checked pretty good, I don't feel anything in it. Usually it is pretty easy to find. I hate doing starters!!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

hmmm. as difficult as they are to pop sometimes, i doubt the inner pouch of nutrients actually got popped during shipping unless it was in a box under a bunch of grains or a bottle of something. i would carefully double check again to make sure it is popped. what is the date on the yeast? if it is a couple months old, some of the weaker yeasties may have perished and it may just be taking a while for the strong ones to build back up.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
darkstar79
Recipes 

I bet there is just a little CO2 build up in there and it has not been smacked with the inner pouch broken. This has happened to me when I have received them during shipping. You have to whack it pretty good to break the pouch I doubt that would happen in shipping. Im sure its fine

On tap: Wet Hop IPA and Farmhouse Ale
Primary 1: Pumpkin Ale

Old 03-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You don't have to smack it anyway, especially if you're pitching enough yeast and the pack is fairly new. The inner packet is just a yeast nutrient - it's not a deal breaker if you can't get it broken.

No worries.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltMonkey View Post
You don't have to smack it anyway, especially if you're pitching enough yeast and the pack is fairly new. The inner packet is just a yeast nutrient - it's not a deal breaker if you can't get it broken.

No worries.
I was not aware of this, but right from the horses mouth on Wyeast's webstie, "Although beneficial, cultures do not need to be activated prior to inoculation."

But there's also "Activation also serves as a viability test of the culture." I would second the recommendation for the starter to double check if the yeast is good. I understand if you hate doing them but what do you hate more? Doing starters or wasting a brew day to dead yeast?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
underwaterdan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hear ya, I am going to have to do a starter, the brew day already got pushed back because of this... darn.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If the outer package is already swollen a bit due to pressure, you may not be able to feel the inner packet. Put it in the fridge for a little while. The cold will reduce the pressure a bit and should allow you to locate the packet inside well enough to rupture it.
If it has definitely already popped, then do yourself a favor and labor through a starter just to be sure.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
underwaterdan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
If the outer package is already swollen a bit due to pressure, you may not be able to feel the inner packet. Put it in the fridge for a little while. The cold will reduce the pressure a bit and should allow you to locate the packet inside well enough to rupture it.
If it has definitely already popped, then do yourself a favor and labor through a starter just to be sure.
Oh the fridge trick didn't think of that because it was already on ice in the box. That did it, thank you very much, now I can smack it... thanks again, I learned something new again from this board!

Quick Reply