Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Slovenian Celeia Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
BarleyWater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Slovenian Celeia Hops

So our supplier at work sent us a box of these hops. Says it is a cross between Savinjski Golding, Aurora and Slovenian wild hops between 5-6%AA, but our box says 2.8%AA. Of course I don't know what those others are like either. I've been thinking of bringing home a couple oz's and brewing a batch, but have no idea what to expect, smells noble-ish.

Anyone have any experience using this variety? Apparently it's been around since the 80's so someone may have had a chance to try it out before.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Guess I'll be the first to try them out. I'll let you guys know what the results are in case anyone else comes across these hops and wants to give them a try.

On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 11-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Haven't used them, but I googled them quickly. It appears the Savinjski Golding is Styrian Golding, or very similar. The wild hops, of course, are anybody's guess. The aurora, according to the website hoppris.com, has an intense and pleasant aroma, so I would use it accordingly.

Primary: Empty :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Pumpkin Saison, Amber Ale, Scottish Strong Ale
Planned: IPA

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 11-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Haven't tried 'em. But yeah, Savinjski Goldings is just Styrian Goldings (which is in turn Fuggle grown in Slovenija, with its own character I'd say). Aurora is also called Super Styrians.

Please report back on these. Curious about them. I was just in Slovenija yesterday myself picking up grain.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Beermaker
The NAVY WALRUS
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have 1 lb of these I am waiting to use. I got them from the brewery I work with. Smell great. I need to find a recipe to use them on.

Why yes, yes I am a metrosexual!

On taps 1,2&3: Una Mas Cerveza, Ham in a Can, IPA
Primary: XINGU Clone, Rye P.A.
2ndary: Low Gluten IPA, Bourbon Oak Aged Vanilla Porter
Kegged: Sh*tty Orange Hefe, Una Mas Cerveza, Smokin Hot Blonde, Belgian Dubbel
Next up: Una Mas Cerveza, Pecan Pie

Old 11-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Try a SMASH or other wise simple grain bill and use only that hop. Make a small batch if you like. You'll get a good idea of what they taste like.

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

Old 11-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I also have a lb of them to test out, I'm thinking about making some kind of smash with maris otter and celeia.

End of the Line Brewing
Primary: Caramel Cider
Secondary: Bourbon Vanilla Porter
On tap: Some Sort of IPA, Cherry Cider
Bottled: Belgian Sour (1st place winner Binny's Chicago Comp)

Old 11-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big10Seaner View Post
I also have a lb of them to test out, I'm thinking about making some kind of smash with maris otter and celeia.
That sounds like it might be pretty good, Otter Creek uses them in a Pils but I haven't tried that. I think Goldings/Fuggles might be close, with that wild variety adding some noble character to aroma. To the others that got these, are they all 2.8%AA?

I found threads on other sites about the same hops, but no one has used them. I guess all of our breweries have the same supplier. I read the memo that said these won't be the only samples that they send either, so maybe some neat things to come as well.

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
Stormrider51
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I discovered the Celeia hops when Austin Homebrew offered them as a seasonal. They are now sold out and I regret I didn't buy extra while I could. The Belgian style ale I made with Celeia has been a big hit with everyone who has tried it. The mini-mash recipe I did was:

3 lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
3 lb Extra Pale Extract
2 lb Honey
1 oz Styrian Golding
1.5 oz Celeia
White Labs Belgian Golden 570

The Styrian Golding is added at the start of the boil for bittering. 0.5 oz of Celeia is added for the last 15 minutes for flavor. 1 oz of Celeia is added in the last 5 minutes for aroma. The result is a light ale with a very slightly citrus flavor and a pleasing floral aroma. ABV was 5.25%.

I notice that this post is several months old. If you still have the hops I'd suggest you try them. Like I said, I wish I could get more.

John

Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
FlemingsFinest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

These are added for three flavor hop additions in Ommegang BPA, if any of you are familiar with that beer. It's personally in my top 3 favorites, so i'd love to get my hands on some of these and maybe take a shot at a clone.

Quick Reply