Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Similar flavor in 2 different brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
friscobrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Similar flavor in 2 different brews

I recently brewed biermunchers centennial blonde and am now bottling orfys mild mannered ale.

I have noticed a similar taste to both. They both taste like toasted cake. Like if you eat the remains off a white cake after it comes out of the pan. I assume it is coming from the grain, but both recipes are different so I am surprised to find the same taste in both. I assumed it was coming through in the centennial blonde because it was such a light ale. It is not a bad flavor, just surprising to find it in both beers.

I used nottingham in both, but have used it before and not tasted this in a ny other beer.

Any one have any thoughts or notice this?

Better People...Better Food...Better Beer....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscobrewer View Post
I recently brewed biermunchers centennial blonde and am now bottling orfys mild mannered ale.

I have noticed a similar taste to both. They both taste like toasted cake. Like if you eat the remains off a white cake after it comes out of the pan. I assume it is coming from the grain, but both recipes are different so I am surprised to find the same taste in both. I assumed it was coming through in the centennial blonde because it was such a light ale. It is not a bad flavor, just surprising to find it in both beers.

I used nottingham in both, but have used it before and not tasted this in a ny other beer.

Any one have any thoughts or notice this?
Toasted cake? Hmmm. I'm wondering what that flavor could be. It's been about 30 years since I've tasted cake, so I'm not sure what exactly that tastes like. Do you have any other descriptions?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
friscobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is a very grainy flavor. The toasted cake was my best description. Maybe toasted grain. Both recipes have crystal malt in them so might be from that. The blonde has crystal 10 and the mild has crystal 60.

Quote:
It's been about 30 years since I've tasted cake, so I'm not sure what exactly that tastes like. Do you have any other descriptions?
You need to have some cake...can't believe anyone would go 30 years without it.

Better People...Better Food...Better Beer....

Quick Reply