Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Simcoe, Amarillo & Cascade combination?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Default Simcoe, Amarillo & Cascade combination?

So I'm planning to brew an IPA soon using equal parts Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade in the late boil, hop whirlpool and dry hop.

How do these 3 hops do together? I'm looking for a tropical/citrus aroma, flavor.

Which of these hops has the strongest flavor? is equal parts of each going to work well? This is my first time using Simcoe or Amarillo, they are expensive and hard to find so I don't want to waste them! I also have a couple ounces of Citra left I could use as well but would that be overkill?

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes, they pair well together.

For more fruity & tropical, use Simcoe & Amarillo in higher late boil and dryhop proportions. Simcoe will also add pineyness. For more citrusy, use more Cascade. Citra would add to the tropical notes.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 161

those three dont work together at all. I would never use them together late in the boil, it's a recipe for disaster.

mail them to me to dispose of properly.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 161

in all seriousness, i love using those hops, and just did one using citra instead of cascade, equal parts. you really get the whole realm of hop goodness, with pine from the simcoe, flowers from the amarillo, and grapefruit citrus from the cascade. great combo.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just brewed a 50/50 amarillo / simcoe IPA and it was fantastic. I wanted a bit more from the hops so I am thinking that the cascade could add to that, but the citra is sounding good as well. Really, anything will work well there if it has that citrus taste to it. Maybe sorachi ace to get some of the lemony flavors. Just a thought but the cascade will play well with the other two.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

I brewed my IPA 2 weeks ago. I used Super Galena to bitter and then a bunch of Cascade at 30 minutes, equal parts Cascada, Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra as a hop stand. I plan to use another 2.5oz dry hop in each 5 gallon batch of Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra. Can't wait! This one is going to be tasty!

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
I brewed my IPA 2 weeks ago. I used Super Galena to bitter and then a bunch of Cascade at 30 minutes, equal parts Cascada, Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra as a hop stand. I plan to use another 2.5oz dry hop in each 5 gallon batch of Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra. Can't wait! This one is going to be tasty!
Nice! Sounds perfect; that's what I do too...C-hops during the boil, and Simcoe/Amarillo for hopstand or dry hop.

I'd consider reducing or skipping the Citra DH...it can be a fruity bully. I've loved it in late boil or hopstand... it's fruitiness still comes through loud and clear w/out covering up the Simcoe/Amarillo.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Nice! Sounds perfect; that's what I do too...C-hops during the boil, and Simcoe/Amarillo for hopstand or dry hop.

I'd consider reducing or skipping the Citra DH...it can be a fruity bully. I've loved it in late boil or hopstand... it's fruitiness still comes through loud and clear w/out covering up the Simcoe/Amarillo.
Good idea. I will drop the Citra from the DH and use Cascade instead. I did an all Citra DH pale ale last time I would rather let the Amarillo/Simcoe shine on this one.

TyTanium Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I actually have an IPA in bottles right now that is 3:2:2 simcoe:amarillo:centennial @ 15,10,5,FO (plus 1 part citra @ FO) that is pretty damn awesome. Went 3:1:1 simcoe:amarillo:centennial on the DH. Tons of tropical and citrus fruits meshed together too much to tell when one starts and another ends, and a touch of pine to round it out. I say go for it.

Peace and bacon grease

Jayhem Likes This 

Quick Reply