Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Should I boil date molasses before adding it to my fermentor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default Should I boil date molasses before adding it to my fermentor?

I came up 5 points low on a saison. I've been itching to put some date molasses into a brew, so it looks like fate has chosen my saison to be the inaugural batch. Should I boil it before adding it to the fermentor? My calculations put it right around the same gravity points per pound as honey. I'm assuming it's a hygroscopic solution, so it might be safe without a boil -- should I risk it or just heat it up and cool it first?

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default molassas

Although I'm not sure if molasses is as hydroscopic as honey, I think it must be pretty close.

Even so, post fermentation you have the alcohol content and the very well established yeast colonies to keep any new critters at bay... (at least that is my understanding)

I'd add it directly, or maybe dissolved in a tiny bit of distilled water. No boil. That way you keep the aromatics & flavor compounds for the brew!

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Old 07-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Good question, I've only ever added it to the boil or primed with it on bottling day. I would probably take the amount you intended to use and add enough water so you get maybe 2 cups of liquid and bring it to a boil and turn it off. It will both sanitize it and thin it out a bit.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

I've calculated that I'll need 19 oz of date molasses to bring my gravity up 10 points, not five points. I was mistaken in my original post. I split the 5.5 gallons into two 5 gallon fermentors (for headspace). I'm not sure what the flavor combo of date molasses and WY3711 will be like, so I'm going to add 10 oz to one of the fermentors, wait a week, and sample it. I'm going to follow Revvy's thinking, chill the mixture down as quickly as possible and pitch it in. If it's acceptable, I'll add the other half of the molasses to the remainder of the batch.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I added Molasses to my RIS, during fermentation, straight out of the jar no boil or nothing. Its been aging for a month and nothing bad as come from it, no infection forming or anything.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
I added Molasses to my RIS, during fermentation, straight out of the jar no boil or nothing. Its been aging for a month and nothing bad as come from it, no infection forming or anything.
I hear you, but this is far from a RIS... this is a wee tiny 4% saison. I'm not sure the sanitizing properties of the beer are the same. Plus, this is NOT molasses. The only ingredient is dates. It's "date molasses." I'm not sure how it's processed or if it's safe to use unheated, which is why I'm bringing it to a simmer before cooling/pitching it.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
I hear you, but this is far from a RIS... this is a wee tiny 4% saison. I'm not sure the sanitizing properties of the beer are the same. Plus, this is NOT molasses. The only ingredient is dates. It's "date molasses." I'm not sure how it's processed or if it's safe to use unheated, which is why I'm bringing it to a simmer before cooling/pitching it.
It's mollases just like regular mollasses, it's made during the refining process of making jaggery or date palm sugar from the date palm plant.

SInce it comes from places like bangladesh, india or sri lanka, places with less "quality control" and different sanitary standards I would make sure it was sanitized before using it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would mix it with water, Bring it to 160-170 degrees, hold it there for 30 mins, cool and then pitch.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
I would mix it with water, Bring it to 160-170 degrees, hold it there for 30 mins, cool and then pitch.
You really don't want to go that long, you truly would dissipate all the volitile aroma and flavor compounds. You wouldn't add it that late in the boil of a beer (usually the last 5-10 minutes) so you wouldn't heat it that long.

Just bringing it up to a boil, and turning it off will pretty much kill anything off without totally destroying all the good stuff.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 635 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 248

arise, oh slumbering thread!

i was in a middle eastern store this weekend and on a whim i picked up a jar of date molasses. i am thinking of using it in a dubbel or BDSA, maybe even an RIS at some point. D-180 syrup uses "a small amount of raw Date sugar to add a rich undertone of flavor" (http://www.candisyrup.com/faq.html) so i'm thinking that using a small proportion (10%?) of date molasses along with regular sugar should be tasty and to style.

for those of you who have used date molasses, how much did you use? how did it turn out? any tips?

an imperial stout recipe i found that uses date molasses: http://pdtnc.wordpress.com/2012/01/01/ag71-abyss-imperial-stout/

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Quick Reply