New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Shooting for Bud American Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Shooting for Bud American Ale

Bear with me here, this is my 1st attempt at a partial mash, and my first attempt at formulating my own recipe.

Ingrediants:
3.75# Cooper's Bitter Premium LME
5 # (grain) pale malt
1 oz cascade hops (30 min)
Cooper's Aussie Ale yeast (comes with LME, 7g)
Another 7g packet Cooper's Aussie Ale yeast due to additional gravity

I plan on a single temp infusion mash, 60 minute boil, primary, secondary and bottle conditioning all around 70°.

I was told a lb of specialty malts should be added for additional body. I have 1/2 lb chocolate rye, but I'm assuming that wouldn't go well with the recipe.

I'm shooting for something like Bud American Ale. This is a very basic recipe, I don't want a ton of different malts and hops due to my 1st partial mash.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

As far as I know - Bud American Ale is dry - hopped with Cascades. I forget if I read it or saw it on one of their commercials. I assume the Coopers LME is pre-hopped? If so, the 30 minute hop addition is kind of hit or miss unless you can find someone else who has done this.

Seems to me you could do better with another type of Yeast, perhaps like S-04.

Personally - i thought the Bud Ale was a pretty decent brew & don't blame you for trying to duplicate it.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
petep1980

Recipes 

I find Bud American Ale quite delicious.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

While I personally think there are quite a few other ales out there that are far better than BAA, I suggest we all back off and let the guy brew what he wants, and if you have some constructive comments, help the guy out.

Looks like BAA is an amber color, so I'd go with some caramel 40L or 60L malt. Also, you should have a 60 minute hop addition for some bitterness.

I plugged in your ingredients into Beertools, and I'm going to give you something to work with, but as I have never had BAA, I don't know how it's going to compare.
Use 1# of Caramel 40L for your specialty grain
1oz cascades at 60min
1oz at 20 min
1oz at 5 minutes.

With that your ABV should be around 5% and your IBU's depending on your actual hops will be about 37.

Just a guess, and I think you'll end up with a nice ale.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
jldc

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
While I personally think there are quite a few other ales out there that are far better than BAA, I suggest we all back off and let the guy brew what he wants, and if you have some constructive comments, help the guy out.

Looks like BAA is an amber color, so I'd go with some caramel 40L or 60L malt. Also, you should have a 60 minute hop addition for some bitterness.

I plugged in your ingredients into Beertools, and I'm going to give you something to work with, but as I have never had BAA, I don't know how it's going to compare.
1oz cascades at 60min
1oz at 20 min
1oz at 5 minutes.

With that your ABV should be around 5% and your IBU's depending on your actual hops will be about 37.

I agree. I also think BAA is quite drinkable. I also think that if it came from a microbrewery and cost twice as much, it would get better reviews around here. OK, now flame me. Go ahead, I can take it.

The recipe as above sounds very nice.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
While I personally think there are quite a few other ales out there that are far better than BAA, [...] I have never had BAA

BAA is dry and clean, with lots of caramel character and not much bitterness. From the OP's recipe, I would go with 12oz of C90, .5oz Cascade at 15, .5 dry-hop, and US-05 yeast. The hopped LME should provide enough bittering.

HTH.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
petep1980

Recipes 

Quote:

1oz cascades at 60min
1oz at 20 min
1oz at 5 minutes.

McBrew, thanks, I'm going to take your suggestions and run with them.

I'm new to this homebrewing and microbrew thing; however, I am not new to internet message boards. By all means make your snide comments about BAA, I truly do not mind, and I find them amusing. It's cool, don't worry.

Last edited by petep1980; 01-25-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
1oz cascades at 60min
1oz at 20 min
1oz at 5 minutes.

I agree, you might not end up with BAA, but I think this will be a nice American ale with a strong caramel note. Add about 0.5-1.0oz. Cascade dry hop, and it will be even better.

I bet it comes out even better than BAA.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
petep1980

Recipes 

Okay, I have pre-hopped bitter AND use a total of 3 OZ of hops? This will surely be in IPA then?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
IBU's depending on your actual hops will be about 37.
BAA is actually more like 20 IBUs. But it depends on your process how much hops you will need to match its bitterness.

BAA is also made by a big brewery so it doesn't contain many different specialty malts. My hunch is to say that it uses 2-row pale malt and one type of crystal. For extract that means light extract + steeping the crystal malt.

Although it is dry hopped I it doesn't have a strong aroma. So they only used a small amount. Maybe 1/4 oz / 5 gal or less.

I don't think this is the thread to bitch about this beer. Open one in the Commercial Beer Discussion forum if you need to.

Kai

Quick Reply