Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Shiner Ruby Redbird Clone Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #51
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 139

I'm flattered that you tried my recipe!

I wish I knew a trick for the ginger but I don't. I noted in the first recipe that the ginger was on but later, after I had drank more of the batch, I decided it really wasn't. I think I will add it at bottling time again instead of flameout. I think smaller ginger roots have more of a firey flavor?

I was also thinking I should adjust the hops a bit since I'm going for a 4 gallon batch instead of a 5.

8 oz of maltodextrin should definitely kick it up!

I really don't think polyclar would help with the clarity due to the fruit juice, but then again it might. It is most popular in wine making. It's super cheap so I add some to almost every batch I brew anyway. Rehydrate in some water and dump it in at bottling or secondary.

Do you have any of Shiner's to compare it with? I may go to a few stores tomorrow there's got to be at least one 6er left somewhere!

I've only been brewing about as long as you have, and I'm no expert at coming up with recipes, but I am pretty determined to brew something that's at least 90% as good as Shiner's version.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum. Where is grapevine?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #52
buffbeeker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Oh contrare, thanks for posting your recipe! I hope you will get to your 90% goal. But, whether you do or not, it is still good beer and that's the name of the game.

In the Shiner brew, the ginger is "front and center" at first and then the grapefruit follows. Unless the ginger pops out after some maturation, mine is missing it. But, the grapefruit taste is very nice and I don't generally like fruity beers! I think your recipe would be spot on if the ginger stood out a bit more. Well done!

One thing that occurred to me is that taste is also hugely dependent on smell. In my version there is a hint of the taste but absolutely no ginger smell. I wonder if that is what is missing?

On my attempt I grated the root finely and then boiled with the priming sugar water for 5 min. Maybe the boiling is where the ginger smell got destroyed? Next time I was thinking of grating course and then using a lemon squeezer to get the juices out. Would do it at 3 min (for flavor) and then again when the water comes off the stove (for aroma). Open to suggestions here.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Looks really active with a lot of helpful enthusiasts out there. Should be fun and rewarding to participate.

Grapevine is immediately NW of the the Dallas - Ft Worth International airport. It's city but like small town although nothing like your small town. Makes me envious ... I'm not a fan of city life but got used to eating and having a roof over my head. :-)

Old 09-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #53
buffbeeker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

A week has passed since bottling. Grapefruit flavor is nice but no trace of ginger that I can detect. Hmmm ... I wonder how Shiner manages to do it?

Next time I am going to try not boiling the ginger at all. Hopefully fresh ginger root won't be a high contamination risk.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #54
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It's going to be a few more days before I get around to brewing but I have the ingredients already.

I managed to find another 6 pack of Shiner's, and really think you have something with the ginger. I kept thinking "ya somethin's missin", and this beer really is all about the ginger, really the grapefruit is playing rhythm. I'm thinking maybe the answer is just to add more ginger, like 3 tbsp? I know there is ginger extract out there but I've never used it.

Anyway I'll post some brewing notes in a few days on what I finally decide.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #55
buffbeeker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The rest of the recipe including the grapefruit is spot on in my opinion. Even without the ginger it's very refreshing nice and cold.

I found some shredded and dried ginger root. Looks suitable for putting in at the end of the boil but not sure how it would work here. I was thinking of boiling up a small amount just to see how much flavor and aroma it gives.

My last effort used an entire root which ended up about 2 Tbsp after fine grating. Maybe the boiling killed the ginger flavor? If not, it might need pounds of the stuff.

Good luck with the next batch. Results eagerly awaited! Thanks again for sharing your recipe.

Darrell.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #56
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I finally got a chance to brew this evening.

Recipe basically the same was posted before except a few minor things.

I only used half gallon of grapefruit juice, since I brewed a 4 gallon batch instead of a 5.

The Northern hops are the same, but for the Cascade I only used 1/2 ounce, and they are leaf hops where the others are pellets.

The ginger, as you can see in the photo below I used quite a bit, it weighed in at 5.5 ounces matter of fact. You can also see the left over ginger root, I used about half of that root. I ran it through my food processor twice. I'm sure grading it would have been fine but I bought this Kitchen Aid food processor and so far only the SWMBO has got to play with it, so daddy had to play with his toy! I added the ginger about 2 minutes before flameout and WOW, it REALLY came alive. It SMELT LIKE Shiner's! Now I may have added way too much, but I certainly wasn't going to settle for too little, since I weighed it instead of using volume, I think this will be more accurate when I make adjustments on the next batch.

I did have one problem unfortunately. I've been using a new burner, and I had to boil for 2 hours to get even close to my target volume, which in this case was 3.5 gallons, because I accounted from the grapefruit juice in the fermenter. When it finally got to 4 gallons I shut it off and began cooling, it was getting dark outside and the bugs were about to be in full force, did not want to take any chances of infection. 4.5 gallons went into the fermenter and the SG is 1.038.

As I'm sure you know living in the south, I was only able to get the wort temperature down to 85 with my immersion chiller, so I will pitch yeast in the AM, when it reaches 55F.

I will report back soon!

Old 10-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #57
buffbeeker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hi,

I'm getting ready to brew another batch. Did your new technique for the ginger work out. It sounded promising! And, would you adjust the amount if you were to do it again?

I have to admit, even though my first try didn't have any ginger flavor in the end, it turned out to be a refreshing brew, especially ice cold.

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #58
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Funny you asked today, because I'm drinking one right now!

I kegged this batch by the way, 24 hours ago.

I am already planning another batch. I would cut the ginger back by about an ounce at least. This batch has PLENTY of ginger, I mean it's so much ginger I am having trouble picking out the grapefruit. SWMBO says the grapefruit is there easy, I'm not able to pick it out as easy. I only ended using 1/2 gallon.

I really need to drink a few more to say for sure, but at this point I would say too much ginger, maybe the grapefruit is ok, hope schedule is is solid, not quite enough Crystal, and it's not as acidic as Shiner's.

This clone is proving to be somewhat difficult, but I'm going to keep doing it until I get it.

Oh and something I thought of. Would a commercial brewery use all Munich in a beer? Since they are more focused on speed and efficiency I am wondering if they didn't use a portion of Munich for base, or Munich 10L for flavor, and the rest American 2 row? Any thoughts?

I think the yeast is ok? What do you think?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #59
masteraviator
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Bump.. Any updates to this?

Keg 1- Stone Espresso Russian Imperial Stout Clone Keg 2- Stone Ruination IPA Clone
Keg 3- Hard Apple Cider Keg 4- APA
Fermenting Away - Old Chub Clone - Another Ruiniation - Another Stone RIS Clone - Belgian Strong

Old 02-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #60
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yes actually am getting ready to do another.

After finishing off that last keg, I plan to use an entire gallon of grapefruit in this next batch. I will up the crystal, and use all Munich except one pound, and maybe add some caramunich. I still stand by what I said in the above about cutting an ounce off the ginger. I will probably start this brew in 2 weeks.

Who is John Galt?

Quick Reply