Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > shakespeare stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
miafunk2003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default shakespeare stout

I just found out that my microbiology teacher is a homebrewer as well....we started to talk about what he brews and he told me that he loves brewing a clone of shakespeare stout by rogue brewing co....he said its rated as the top beer in the world in some book cant remember the name....My first question is have any of u tryed it and is it really that good and second of all do any of u happen to have an extract recipe to make this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
greg75

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miafunk2003
I just found out that my microbiology teacher is a homebrewer as well....we started to talk about what he brews and he told me that he loves brewing a clone of shakespeare stout by rogue brewing co....he said its rated as the top beer in the world in some book cant remember the name....My first question is have any of u tryed it and is it really that good and second of all do any of u happen to have an extract recipe to make this?
I haven't had the Shakespeare Stout, but Rogue Chocolate Stout is very, very good. Probably one of the top 5 beers I've ever had.

Rogue beer is hard to come by in my area. I've had the Chocolate Stout, and Mocha Porter (very good also, but not as good as the Chocolate Stout, IMO). I just bought a sixer of Dead Guy Ale today. I've heard good things about it, looking forward to downing a couple tonight!

Old 10-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It is definitely one of my absolute favorite brews of all time. You can get it at Whole Foods. (Right next to the Dead Guy Ale, usually, as it's the same brewery.) I'd love to do an AG clone of that beer, but I think you need Pacman yeast, which may be hard to find.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
greg75

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
It is definitely one of my absolute favorite brews of all time. You can get it at Whole Foods. (Right next to the Dead Guy Ale, usually, as it's the same brewery.) I'd love to do an AG clone of that beer, but I think you need Pacman yeast, which may be hard to find.
Wyeast has released Pacman Yeast. In fact, Austin Homebrew provides Pacman Yeast if you order one of their Rogue clone kits. I'd assume you could buy just the yeast from them also.

I agree, something would be missing in a Rogue clone brew without the Pacman yeast.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
miafunk2003
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanx alot on helping me find the kit at austin ill be purchasing it today ill tell u how it comes out when i brew it

Old 10-07-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Shakespeare stout is good, but that score was back in 1994. If he has a clone recipe, he can probably convert it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I didn't know they had that, greg75. It does indeed come with Pacman yeast as one of the options. That's exciting. I haven't done a stout yet.

I'm about to order their Shakespeare Stout clone in an All Grain version. I see they have an option to boost the alcohol content by 1% without changing the flavor. How does that work?

Old 10-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #8
b-tone
Recipes 

Shakespeare is definitely up there the best, never tried brewing it, but am looking into as well. There's a homebrew shop in Tulsa, OK called High Gravity that sells all kinds of stuff on their website, www.highgravitybrew.com
They've got a extract/specialty grain kit based on SS, that looks pretty good to me, but what the hell do I know.

Here's a link to it to leave it open to any comments, additions, etc.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/docs/ThespianStout.pdf

I would assume substituting Pacman for the #1084, would be the way to go.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
miafunk2003
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

is steeping grains the same as a mini mash?

Old 10-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
greg75

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Well, I didn't know they had that, greg75. It does indeed come with Pacman yeast as one of the options. That's exciting. I haven't done a stout yet.

I'm about to order their Shakespeare Stout clone in an All Grain version. I see they have an option to boost the alcohol content by 1% without changing the flavor. How does that work?
Well, I've never ordered anything from Austin Homebrew myself, although my next batch will probably come from there. The 1% alcohol boost, IIRC, is basically just a packet of some specialized sugar that comes with the rest of the ingredients. I assumed they just sent more malt extract to achieve the higher alcohol, but maybe that would change the flavor profile too much, because they claim the extra alcohol doesn't compromise the taste.

Just for the sake of science, when I order my kit from Austin Homebrew, I'll get the 1% boost and tell you my thoughts. And, yes, this really is an unselfish act on my part. I'm really taking one for the team here!

Quick Reply