New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Seeking a critique of an Irish Red done American style and question about Carared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
reverendnathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Seeking a critique of an Irish Red done American style and question about Carared

I wanted to make an Irish Red 100% my own and keep is SIMPLE. Just looking for some thoughts and feedback, I want to make sure my specialty malts aren't the wrong approach.

Also, just how red is Carared? I really want a nice, deep red, but not dark (like what an Arrogant Bastard may come off in color, but rather a solid red).

Anyways, here's the recipe:

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.39 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 16.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

5g Calcium Chloride added to W. Los Angeles city water

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
9 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        76.6 %        
2 lbs                 Carared (20.0 SRM)                       Grain         2        17.0 %        
12.0 oz               Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)               Grain         3        6.4 %         

0.25 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           4        7.5 IBUs      
2.75 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min      Hop           5        16.5 IBUs     

1.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         6        -             

Mash @ 152F
16 SRM, 24 IBU and 6.5% of grain bill Special B... is everything in order? It all conforms to style guidelines, albiet right at the edge.

Cheers!

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 21

23% crystal malts is a bit much!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
TwoGunz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Really depends on what you're going for. Irish reds are pretty mild. I think the crystal is definitely too much and the special B feels a little out of place as well, particularly in that amount. Just my 2 cents

Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 78 Posts

I think too much crystal as well and your hop schedule is kind of weird for a red. 2.75 oz of centennial at 5 min is going to give way more citrus aroma than you would typically have in a red. I'd change hops to something with lower AAs (maybe hallertau) and use at 60 min and 20 with maybe a late add if you want some aroma. I think of reds as malt forward rather than hops.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
reverendnathan
Recipes 

I do want to stick to a late hop addition in the beer, not sure if Centennial is the best call, but I like it's high AA% to get the IBUs on level. Should I try something English or Noble with a lower AA% and bump it's add time up to ~20m?

I was reckoning that was too much Crystal, how is this revision? Note I haven't tweaked the hops yet, so this is just grains:

Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
9 lbs 12.0 oz         Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        84.8 %        
1 lbs                 Carared (20.0 SRM)                       Grain         2        8.7 %                     
12.0 oz               Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)               Grain         3        6.5 %         

0.25 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           4        7.6 IBUs      
2.75 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min      Hop           5        16.6 IBUs
Should I cut Special B in halfish and put in Roasted Barley in the other half that I cute out? I see Roast malt a lot in these recipes, and I was reckoning I'd use Special B for a small hint of toffee, raisiny flavor.

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
bja
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendnathan View Post
Should I cut Special B in halfish and put in Roasted Barley in the other half that I cute out? I see Roast malt a lot in these recipes, and I was reckoning I'd use Special B for a small hint of toffee, raisiny flavor.
Get rid of the special B and add a couple ounces of Roasted barley and a lb. of Munich. There are no toffee or raisin flavors in an Irish Red.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Quick Reply