New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Seeking Advice from Anyone Who Knows their Hops and Mate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
edds5p0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Default Seeking Advice from Anyone Who Knows their Hops and Mate

After a long hiatus from being creative with beers, I was inspired today to invent a recipe using Yerba Mate. I plan on calling the beer "All Nighter Ale." I will design a crisp, clean grain bill making for a beer somewhere between 5% and 6% ABV that should showcase the flavor of the mate and it will hopefully also give a bit of a lift from the stimulants found in the drink. So that's what I have figured out about those parts. Now comes the two things I need some advice on. 1) I want a hop with a very herbal character, perhaps resiny in flavor to compliment the taste of the mate. I am trying to avoid citrus flavors, I'd rather not have "spicy" character, but some floral would probably be alright. 2) While I could just cop out and use US-05, I am very open to suggestions regarding yeast varieties that may work well for what I am shooting for. As always, I appreciate the advice that comes from the many years of combined experience here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
isaac17dboy
Recipes 

That is a great idea! You must tell me how it turns out. I was thinking about making turmeric beer for all the incredible property's it carries.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
edds5p0
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac17dboy
That is a great idea! You must tell me how it turns out. I was thinking about making turmeric beer for all the incredible property's it carries.
That's a fantastic idea as well. I used to work for a company that did nutritional analysis and I frequently tested for curcumin. After learning about the significance of it as an antioxidant, I always look for places to use it in my cooking. I actually used it in my most recent batch of rice wine in concert with ginger, allspice, and cinnamon. The turmeric gave it a lot of "hot" body and imparted an almost umami character to the flavor. I know it sounds crazy, but I can really see turmeric holding it's own nicely in a Scotch style ale or a rauchbier with some smoky and maybe caramel notes to work with it.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
BGBC
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I used to drink a lot of mate in college. Still have my gourds, but haven't had any in a while. Ineresting idea tho.

Do you want the mate to be the dominant flavor? Maybe a milder noble hop (goldings or saaz)? Citrus might also compliment the mate flavors tho (sorachi ace for lemon?).

Not sure on the yeast, but how are you planning to add the mate?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
edds5p0
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC
I used to drink a lot of mate in college. Still have my gourds, but haven't had any in a while. Ineresting idea tho.

Do you want the mate to be the dominant flavor? Maybe a milder noble hop (goldings or saaz)? Citrus might also compliment the mate flavors tho (sorachi ace for lemon?).

Not sure on the yeast, but how are you planning to add the mate?
Mate kept me going on some rough 12 hour night shifts at my job last year, hence my desire to pay tribute to it. I do want the mate to dominate, but I also want the flavor profile of the rest of the beer to compliment it, not just be neutral to hold the flavor out on its own. I am debating a couple techniques for adding it, I may "dry hop" with it, or I may add a bunch of very concentrated steep after the boil. I can't boil it because it will extract too much undesirable flavors. I also may add it once my chill gets down to about 190 and let it go along for the ride in fermentation. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I love the yerba as well! Elysian out of Seattle last year made a Belgian Trippel called Nibiru which was quite good. Here's a quote from RateBeer, " Combining the yeasty esters of Belgian yeast and the compelling tea-like flavors of the South American herb mixture, with German Northern Brewer, Czech Saaz and American Amarillo hops round out the uniqueness". That might give you somewhere to start.
Perhaps either whirlpooling it after the boil or just make a stronger wort and add a couple quarts of pre-made tea after cooling?

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Old 04-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
edds5p0
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHoarder
I love the yerba as well! Elysian out of Seattle last year made a Belgian Trippel called Nibiru which was quite good. Here's a quote from RateBeer, " Combining the yeasty esters of Belgian yeast and the compelling tea-like flavors of the South American herb mixture, with German Northern Brewer, Czech Saaz and American Amarillo hops round out the uniqueness". That might give you somewhere to start...good luck!
That does help a lot, I may need to reconsider my yeast ideas.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
mullenium
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ive seen a mate bomber at my local grocer.. Forgot who makes it, but always been curious to try it as the idea seems cool

Old 04-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
edds5p0
Recipes 

Would Northern Brewer make sense as a flavor here? Perhaps Chinook? I haven't tasted nearly as many varieties as I would like to.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #10
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Perhaps the new Belma hop would work here. I still have nearly a pound of whole leaf Belma and about the same in bulk Yerba. Hmmm....

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Quick Reply