Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Secondary for 7, 10, or 14 days?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
McClellandBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Secondary for 7, 10, or 14 days?

Currently I am dry hopping a Black IPA (14lb grain bill - 5gal) in secondary and am wondering how long I should wait until kegging it. It read an OG of 1.065 and has been in the secondary for 9 days.
I originally planned to keep it there for 14 days but am second guessing (in regards to fermenting a bigger style beer and dryhopping schedule)
Should I keg it tomorrow at 10 days or let it go 4 more days?
Are longer fermentations better/worse for this style beer?
Will dry hopping more than 10 days have diminishing returns?

Thanks for all the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a San Diego style double IPA that I brewed last April, put in the secondary in early May, l and I plan to bottle it on the coming weekend. I figure that it will benefit from 2 or 3 months in the bottle for it to really shine. That's my benchmark for a beer with an OG around what you say. Dry hopping guidelines usually suggest 2 to 4 weeks, and mine has been on dry hops for about that (two additions)

So if you plan on kegging it after 10 days or after 14 days in the secondary, in my opinion isn't going to make any difference.
In the early 1800s beers of that OG were aged 6 months or more.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
McClellandBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge View Post
I have a San Diego style double IPA that I brewed last April, put in the secondary in early May, l and I plan to bottle it on the coming weekend. I figure that it will benefit from 2 or 3 months in the bottle for it to really shine. That's my benchmark for a beer with an OG around what you say. Dry hopping guidelines usually suggest 2 to 4 weeks, and mine has been on dry hops for about that (two additions)

So if you plan on kegging it after 10 days or after 14 days in the secondary, in my opinion isn't going to make any difference.
Damn. You have a lot of patience. I don't know if I have the will power to wait that long, but more power to you.
I've done some research and may just keg it tomorrow...but charge/carb it and let it sit for 1 month. Many porters and stouts seems to peak 2-6 months, however I don't want to lose the fresh hop flavor and aroma. Therefore 1 month after carbonation seems legitimate.
What do you think?

Old 11-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge

Whoa!!! Serious patience... only for 1.070+ or sours would I wait that long

Old 11-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4279 Times on 3118 Posts
Likes Given: 825

I usually add the dryhops 5-7 days before packaging the beer. I think that gives the freshest hops flavor/aroma, the "in your face" hoppiness I love.

I don't see any reason to keep the beer in a clearing vessel if it's already clear. If it's clear, it's ready to be packaged.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Whoa!!! Serious patience... only for 1.070+ or sours would I wait that long
Yes, this is a high-gravity beer. 19.5 Plato or almost 80. I'm fortunate to have a good sized space for storage, as I have several other beers that I can enjoy while waiting for the big boys.

Quick Reply