Secondary for 7, 10, or 14 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McClellandBrew

Reaction score
Currently I am dry hopping a Black IPA (14lb grain bill - 5gal) in secondary and am wondering how long I should wait until kegging it. It read an OG of 1.065 and has been in the secondary for 9 days.
I originally planned to keep it there for 14 days but am second guessing (in regards to fermenting a bigger style beer and dryhopping schedule)
Should I keg it tomorrow at 10 days or let it go 4 more days?
Are longer fermentations better/worse for this style beer?
Will dry hopping more than 10 days have diminishing returns?

Thanks for all the help!

I have a San Diego style double IPA that I brewed last April, put in the secondary in early May, l and I plan to bottle it on the coming weekend. I figure that it will benefit from 2 or 3 months in the bottle for it to really shine. That's my benchmark for a beer with an OG around what you say. Dry hopping guidelines usually suggest 2 to 4 weeks, and mine has been on dry hops for about that (two additions)

So if you plan on kegging it after 10 days or after 14 days in the secondary, in my opinion isn't going to make any difference.
In the early 1800s beers of that OG were aged 6 months or more.

I have a San Diego style double IPA that I brewed last April, put in the secondary in early May, l and I plan to bottle it on the coming weekend. I figure that it will benefit from 2 or 3 months in the bottle for it to really shine. That's my benchmark for a beer with an OG around what you say. Dry hopping guidelines usually suggest 2 to 4 weeks, and mine has been on dry hops for about that (two additions)

So if you plan on kegging it after 10 days or after 14 days in the secondary, in my opinion isn't going to make any difference.

Damn. You have a lot of patience. I don't know if I have the will power to wait that long, but more power to you.
I've done some research and may just keg it tomorrow...but charge/carb it and let it sit for 1 month. Many porters and stouts seems to peak 2-6 months, however I don't want to lose the fresh hop flavor and aroma. Therefore 1 month after carbonation seems legitimate.
What do you think?

RobertRGeorge said:

Whoa!!! Serious patience... only for 1.070+ or sours would I wait that long

I usually add the dryhops 5-7 days before packaging the beer. I think that gives the freshest hops flavor/aroma, the "in your face" hoppiness I love.

I don't see any reason to keep the beer in a clearing vessel if it's already clear. If it's clear, it's ready to be packaged.

Whoa!!! Serious patience... only for 1.070+ or sours would I wait that long

Yes, this is a high-gravity beer. 19.5 Plato or almost 80. I'm fortunate to have a good sized space for storage, as I have several other beers that I can enjoy while waiting for the big boys.

Back