Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > In search of the perfect spring time Belgian. Advice and comments please!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #11
BudzAndSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

No worries! I made this thread looking for feedback so I appreciate all your opinions! I already have 530 and I'm going to go with it, I was just curious to hear why you were thinking 550. They were good notes so I'll keep it in mind next time.

As far as the rest of the beer, how does that look? Spring time style belgian?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
somemofo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Simply put, I would drink it. though I will admit, I do what I can to avoid ginger whenever possible. Just a personal taste preference.

Out of curiosity, what's the expected IBUs?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Only calculates to about 25 IBU'S which might be a bit low, but really the late addition hops are the goods here for that springtime aroma.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #14
somemofo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Just a thought... Some citra hops (nearly 14% AA) could lend a little fruitiness and bitterness at the same time. If you at avoiding bitterness, obviously not the best choice, but I am a fan of the flavor.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #15
RITiger41
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Looks good. I like the flavor profile of 530 yeast. I would use corn sugar over Turbinado and increase the addition of corn sugar, so you're honey and sugar are approximately 25-30% of the total fermentiables to improvement attenuation and get a dryer finish.

For the hops anything noble or EK Golding should work too. I would limit the late addition hops, so you don't take away from the spices.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #16
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
Oh and I suppose it's worth mentioning that I plan on adding the honey right at the end of primary to keep some of the delicate honey flavor, and allow for better attenuation. Would it be better to toss it in the boil for sanitary reasons?
Is the honey that you will be using pasteurized? If so, your plan should work. If not, I'd consider adding it to the end of the boil.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I don't mean to deter you from your course, but you might want to think about simplifying things a lot. You really have a ton of stuff going into this recipe, most of which are pretty strong flavors even in small amounts. Between the malt bill, the multiple hop varieties, the spicing, and the characterful Belgian yeast, you got the United Nations of flavors going on... which as we all know, doesn't usually work out.

Also, IMO, the perfect springtime Belgian is a patersbier.

Carry on...

Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
I don't mean to deter you from your course, but you might want to think about simplifying things a lot. You really have a ton of stuff going into this recipe, most of which are pretty strong flavors even in small amounts. Between the malt bill, the multiple hop varieties, the spicing, and the characterful Belgian yeast, you got the United Nations of flavors going on... which as we all know, doesn't usually work out.

Also, IMO, the perfect springtime Belgian is a patersbier.

Carry on...
You're totally right. It's easy to get carried away with good ideas and end up burying a beer in flavors. I like the malt bill because its mostly pils with a few specialty grains that all have a specific reason to be there. The hop bill is a bit out of control though. Maybe just centennial for bittering and willamette for aroma? I was debating about ginger being a good idea so maybe I'll trim that out as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Alright, I trimmed it up a bit to make it more reasonable, tell me what you think.

I should also note that I'm brewing this for a local brewpub that's having a Belgian-only homebrew contest where the main judging criteria is creativity, so that's why I'm hanging on to the Cardamom and Hibiscus. They're just strange enough and delicious enough that they might be able to bring me home the gold.

Also, I love the looks of a patersbier. I might brew one of those as well, maybe not for the contest (but maybe for the contest) but really it just looks delicious.

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.077
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 8.05%
IBU (tinseth): 31.34
SRM (morey): 7.06

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (78.8%)
1 lb - German - Munich Light (6.1%)
0.5 lb - Belgian - Aromatic (3%)
1 lb - Turbinado (6.1%)
1 lb - Honey (6.1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Zythos for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 10.5, IBU: 28.87)
1 oz - Willamette for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 2.47)
0.5 oz - Centennial for 0 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 8)

MASH STEPS:
1) Temp: 150 F, Time: 90 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.3 oz - Corriander, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
3 each - Orange Zest, Time: 0 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
1 each - Fresh Green Cardamom, Time: 0 min, Type: Herb, Use: Boil
2 oz - Hibiscus, Type: Herb, Use: Secondary

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

One last bump for feedback, planning on brewing tomorrow night.

Quick Reply