Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > In search of the perfect spring time Belgian. Advice and comments please!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
BudzAndSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Default In search of the perfect spring time Belgian. Advice and comments please!

Ok, Looking for the perfect Belgian beer to welcome in the changing of seasons. Here's what I have so far, let me know if it sounds reasonable! I'm trying to keep the spices and herbs subtle so as to not overpower the delicious backbone of a Belgian Golden Strong Ale.

Style Name: Golden Shower BGSA
Boil Time: 75 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 7.62%
IBU (tinseth): 25.11
SRM (morey): 6.94

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (71%)
1 lb - Belgian - Munich (6.5%)
1 lb - American - Wheat (6.5%)
0.5 lb - Belgian - Aromatic (3.2%)
1 lb - Turbinado (6.5%)
1 lb - Honey (6.5%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Amarillo for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.5, IBU: 23.41)
1 oz - Cascade for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 3, IBU: 1.7)
1 oz - Willamette for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5)
1 oz - East Kent Goldings for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4)

MASH STEPS:
1) Temp: 150 F, Time: 90 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tsp - Fresh Ginger, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
0.3 oz - Corriander, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
3 each - Orange Zest, Time: 0 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
1 each - Fresh Green Cardamom, Time: 0 min, Type: Herb, Use: Boil
2 oz - Hibiscus, Type: Herb, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
White Labs - Abbey Ale Yeast WLP530
Starter: yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 80%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 66 - 72 F

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Oh and I suppose it's worth mentioning that I plan on adding the honey right at the end of primary to keep some of the delicate honey flavor, and allow for better attenuation. Would it be better to toss it in the boil for sanitary reasons?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Apologizes for one last bump, but I just went to the homebrew store and the Hop selection was very poor, so I wanted to update this with what hops I have available and see what people think. Although, this thread has been here for 6 hours and I'm the only person who's viewed it so far, so I'm not sure a bump is even a thing at that rate.

Anyhow, I'm shooting for floral/citrusy on the hop profile (to compliment the springtime seasonings I've added)

I have;

- Hallertau
- Saaz
- Tettnanger
- Centennial
- EK Golding
- Willamette
- Zythos
- Sterling (only .5 oz)

Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

With that grain bill/hop profile I would recommend WLP550 over 530.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
somemofo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When your local home brew shop has a crummy selection of hops, one with a better selection is always right down the highway. The information super highway...

Okay, now that the bad jokes are dispensed, I wouldn't change my brew plans to suit local availability unless I was brewing with a deadline. I would rather place an order today and make what I really want to make, next weekend.

Luckily, my local shop is Austin Homebrew Supply and they've always had every hop I needed. They do offer cheap shipping and quick order processing :-)

Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
somemofo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7
+1 on this yeast recommendation.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somemofo View Post
When your local home brew shop has a crummy selection of hops, one with a better selection is always right down the highway. The information super highway...

Okay, now that the bad jokes are dispensed, I wouldn't change my brew plans to suit local availability unless I was brewing with a deadline. I would rather place an order today and make what I really want to make, next weekend.

Luckily, my local shop is Austin Homebrew Supply and they've always had every hop I needed. They do offer cheap shipping and quick order processing :-)
Haha that might be my plan. I was going to brew tomorrow, but I'm thinking brewing on a weeknight with work the next morning might suck. I'll probably order amarillo and cascade just in case I put it off to the weekend, but if I decide to brew tomorrow, I think I have a pretty decent selection of hops to make a good beer, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post

I'd like to hear your reasoning there but I'm pretty set on the 530. I brewed 5 gallons of BGSA (super simple, 12lbs pilsner, 2lbs white sugar) and split it into 5-gallon batches. 1 gallon each for WLP500, 515, 530, 550, and 570. Had a big tasting party with SWMBO and 4 of my friends and 530 was the unanimous winner. But like you said, this is a different grain bill and hop profile so I'd like to hear why you prefer 550.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
Haha that might be my plan. I was going to brew tomorrow, but I'm thinking brewing on a weeknight with work the next morning might suck. I'll probably order amarillo and cascade just in case I put it off to the weekend, but if I decide to brew tomorrow, I think I have a pretty decent selection of hops to make a good beer, don't you?

I'd like to hear your reasoning there but I'm pretty set on the 530. I brewed 5 gallons of BGSA (super simple, 12lbs pilsner, 2lbs white sugar) and split it into 5-gallon batches. 1 gallon each for WLP500, 515, 530, 550, and 570. Had a big tasting party with SWMBO and 4 of my friends and 530 was the unanimous winner. But like you said, this is a different grain bill and hop profile so I'd like to hear why you prefer 550.
550 is cleaner and I just think it would go better with your grain bill/hop profile. 530 is still a great yeast but it shines more when you are trying to accentuate caramel flavors from malt and favors the malt more than the hops.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
somemofo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

550 for the spice flavors. For fruitier go to a 500. The 530 will do you well, but if I had a 530 and 550 in this case, I'd go 550. More of a Belgian white/saison strain, as opposed to a Trappist strain. Just seems a better match to me. That being said, home brewing is about creativity, preference and control. Your beer will surely be great with a 530.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somemofo View Post
550 for the spice flavors. For fruitier go to a 500. The 530 will do you well, but if I had a 530 and 550 in this case, I'd go 550. More of a Belgian white/saison strain, as opposed to a Trappist strain. Just seems a better match to me. That being said, home brewing is about creativity, preference and control. Your beer will surely be great with a 530.
Well said.

If you already have the 530 yeast don't waste your time going and getting 550 based on my suggestion. It is just that: a suggestion. I apologize if I came across giving the impression that I thought 530 wouldn't work.

Quick Reply