Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Scrub oak for flavoring?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
BurntMango
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Scrub oak for flavoring?

Today, I found some nice gambel oak / scrub oak logs in my chord of firewood and couldn't resist the possibility of using it for oaking wine/beer/liquor. Does anyone know if scrub oak specifically is inferior for this application? I cannot find anything online about it. My only guess is that its relatively small size makes it commercially impractical compared to popular distillery oaks. I know I can just experiment and find out, but it would be nice to get some established information before potentially wasting my time.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

White oak is the preferred variety for beverage aging use due to its good flavor and low resin character. I don't think you will find much info on using scrub oak. Try some on a small sample before you commit to a large batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply